+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly rod recommendations for children

Default Fly rod recommendations for children

My 9-year old daughter loves to fish and also tie flies. Right now she fishes with a spin rod. I would love for her to start learning how to cast a fly rod. Is there a correct rod length or size I should be looking for? I feel like a 9-foot rod would be too much for her to handle. Any recommendations?

Alberto

Alberto,

My daughter started fishing with me when she was 8 and I started her out on a 9' rod. The extra length to the rod helped her keep the line out of the dirt on the back cast. She can now cast with just about anything but likes my 8'6" rod the most. What I'd be most concerned with is rod weight. A 4-6 weight is generally ideal, but I'd go for the lightest (physical rod weight) rod you can reasonably afford as kids arms tend to wear out quickly due to needing lots of extra casts until they are decent casters. In my case I opted not to buy her anything but just let her use a rod I could "tolerate" her breaking if it came to that.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

My niece who is 9 is using a 8ft6 4wt BVk she likes smaller grip easier for her to handle
    The fishing was good it was the catching that was bad

Blog Entries

Alberto,

I cast a strong vote for the TFO Bug Launcher fly rod. It is made for small handed people (children) and comes in two lengths and weight classes.

This is a very good beginner rod and a great small stream rod as well.

Here is the website and what TFO has to say about the rod.

Larry ---sagefisher---

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/r...l#.WCNgInCQzX4

Bug Launchers include thinner diameter compressed cork grips for a better fit in smaller hands. The yellow Bug Launcher logo stands out against a candy apple red blank. Speaking of blanks, this series is made from general graphite so there?s less risk when that passing dragonfly happens to take a swipe. An extended reel seat allows smaller anglers to use two hands for more control. Two models, a 7? 4/5 weight and an 8? 5/6 weight, both are 2-piece and have a suggested retail of $89.95.
    2-Piece Rods

Model Line Length Pieces Weight (OZ) Price
    TF BL 4/5 4/5 Wt. 7' 2 2.9 $89.95

TF BL 5/6 5/6 Wt. 8' 2 3.2 $89.95

Our experience is that most children of that age seem to do better with shorter rods as they will be easier to stop and will also be less tiring. This is why most rods targeted toward children are in the 7-8 ft range. Many of our customers have attempted to start their children with longer rods then come in to purchase a shorter rod. However some children can cast longer rods fine.

I also recommend the Bug Launcher rods as well as the TFO Minnow Combo ($110 - 2pc 8ft 5/6 rod, Cross Water reel, Rio Mainstream Line) and Crosswater Youth Combo ($150 - 4pc 8.5ft 5/6 rod, Cross Water Reel, Mainstream Line, and a rod/reel case) and these have been popular with customers as have any number of 7 to 8 ft 3wt or 4wt rods.

The Bug Launchers have also been popular with adults looking for short rods

Ive taught my own boys and numerous boy scout troops on cabela's Three Forks. 7 1/2 ' 3 wt ( feels more like a 4 wt).
    It's light and cheap . Not familiar with the TFO's but they sound like a nice set up for kids.
    it's all good drifts

Sqallas2 is spot on. Hard to beat the Cabelas Three Forks. My son still has his 8'4wt. For $39 it's hard to beat.

Agree with sagefisher... Bug Launcher..
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Another vote for the Cabela's Three Forks 3 wt. Great for small hands and a nice little rod for panfish and small trout. I bought the combo years ago and still use the inexpensive reel that it came with today.

+ Reply to Thread