+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jvice knuckle Stem

Blog Entries

Default Jvice knuckle Stem

Hi,
    Got the knuckle stem for my Jvice.
    Have the vise in a Stonfo base as easier to move than the tying table type base the Jvice comes with.

Not showing a specific use of the adjustment capability.....just giving an idea of possible uses.

https://vimeo.com/190485229

With many(not all) true rotary vises, you can't put the jaws in a 45 degree angle. This allows a great deal of flexibility.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-07-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Looks nice Byron.

I imagined trying to justify it for myself but can't for my tying. Hope I don't get the "Ah nuts!" feeling after I okay the PDF invoice and send in my $$ Monday morning. Got around 12 hrs. to decide!!

It's basically your fault...

Blog Entries

It will be fine. You will really enjoy your new tying tools!

Blog Entries

A picture of the vise at approx. 45 degree tilt upwards.........

screen capture tool

It's a feature that, while not critical to tying a great fly, some tyers would find highly useful. Takes "rear hook access" from excellent to near unlimited. A good heads-up for anyone considering purchasing a Jvice.

Of course, many simple, non-rotary vises permit the same access.

The prior version was slightly different:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/a...3&d=1478734181
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Bugsy
    I have that one, but like this version much better. Buttery smooth.
    I must admit that I like the finish of yours better, but I think black was the only option when I got mine.
    It also came with the rather blunt original jaws before he made the "pro jaws".

How would you rate the Jvice for tying?
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-10-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Blog Entries

My original knuckle head and the original jaws which were a bit blunt. Would be great for large flies, I think.

Well I have no such complaint about this one, Byron. Perfectly smooth. Perhaps yours had a burr or an issue of hardened grease? Additionally, I was impressed by the range of tension provided by the adjustment screw and claw design.

How would I rate the vise? I have tied only a few flies on it, which I did shortly after receiving it. I bet that sounds lame to have such a nice tool and not use it, but there is a reason. I immediately noticed a preference for the mount at the front of the hardwood base, and the rounded top of my current tying table doesn't suit that arrangement well. This is in contrast to most who prefer using the top mount. When I eventually get my dedicated table out of storage, that should change.

It's the only offset jaw rotary vise I own. I think Jay's design best addresses the issues and complaints of hook access and comfort common to most offset designs. The "J" arm provides a comfortable location for the hand to rest at a natural angle as one would with a standard vise. Operation is silky smooth with those delrin bushings in the housing. Ball bearings would serve no purpose here.

The first place I judge a vise is the jaw assembly. I've grown to appreciate two-plate jaw designs over one-piece jaws, and Jay's are top quality. Despite having used it for only a few flies, I have mounted a variety of hooks from quite small to moderately large. If I were ordering today, I'd discuss not having the jaw notched, since they can complicate mounting larger hooks with odd bends. I suspect he'd have an engineer's response for their inclusion.

Oh, and the hardwood base. I debated about it, since it drives the cost up appreciably, and was prepared to go another route as others have done. Well, I think I made the right choice for me and wouldn't find the vise nearly as comfortable with a standard pedestal. I view it as a key ergonomic component that adds utility.

Blog Entries

Thanks Bugsy. Well thought out review.
    I didn't mean to imply that the original knucklehead was inferior. I just like this set-up better. It also has infinite tension setting through a knurled knob on the reverse side.

When did you get yours??

Bugsy,

I'll let you know just what I think of my new tool when she arrives shortly. It's somewhere, high over the ocean currently, en-route to MN.

I did go the hardwood base route as you can see b/c being a hobbyist wood guy in another life, I love a beautiful piece of wood. It's Kiaat and I'll see how things go. Can't wait.

Jeremy.

+ Reply to Thread