+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses For 200R Curved Hooks

Default Uses For 200R Curved Hooks

If you use this style hook what flies do you tie on them? I'm just curious. I used the bigger ones for hoppers, but I've never used the small sizes like 14 or 16. Just wondering.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

It makes a good looking SJW variation by wrapping red or pink V-Rib around the hook. If you use pink then wrap the hook with a vivid pink thread or other material first as pink v-rib is rather translucent and the under wrap brings out the pink color better. Not as necessary with red. Weight and beads are optional.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Bruce,

I've had a number of hook failures on the smaller sized 200's; switched to Dai Riki 280 (no experience with the 270, which is similar to the Tiemco) for anything under a #12.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

That "style" of hook (not necessarily the 200R) is what I use for Stimulators, which I tie down to size #18's.

Joe

3xl York-bend hooks like the TMC 200R and Dai-Riki 270 are basically garbage IMO. Too small a gape for the hook length and a tendency to fail at the bend. These qualities are especially bad in #14 on down. I defy you to hook and land a fish over 10 inches on even a thread midge tied on a #20 or smaller. There is just too little gape and too much hook shank. I probably have $10,000 invested in hooks (though it depends on how much I've tied for the winter already; I have already ordered about 4000 hooks this fall) and I NEVER EVER EVER use 3xl York-bends. Like Scott, I find the Dai-Rike #280 infinitely superior on Stimulator-style dry flies. The #285 (3xl ROUND bend) is a great choice for nymphs.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

I never had so many missed hook-ups as when I used 200's.

I have been saying for years that it is a garbage hook. Really poor hook ups are the norm for this hook. Dave Blackburn of Kooteni Anglers was the first to clue me in to this problem when he would not buy any Stimulators that I had tied on the R200 or similar hook from other manufacturers. I kept track for one whole season of guiding, to the hook up rate of R200 type hooks vs. Daiichi 1280 which is what I have used since then to tie my Stimulators in all sizes down to #16. The down eye version of the R200 does better at hooks ups but not enough better to bother with. TMC 2302 is a nice 2X long down eye hook which also works nice for Stimmies and hoppers. The TMC 2312 is the same hook but with a straight eye; it is better than the R200 because of the wider gape but not enough to warrant its use in my opinion.

Stimulators, Amy's Ant, Stimi Chew Toy, generic caddies patterns with legs, PMX
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I use the 200R for Stimis,copper Johns, Caddis Larva, and other long bodied nymphs. Never had any breakage or hookup failures, but then the fish I catch are usually under 2 lbs.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Stimulators. For hoppers and the like, I use the 2XL curve shank TMC2312 or TMC2302, mainly because I do not like 3XL hooks or longer in general.

One often hears about the hooking problems with the TMC200R, and yet it is a very popular hook in the SW for midge patterns (refer Takahashi and Hubka, Modern Midges). I rarely use them for anything but dries, so cannot comment personally, but it is a much maligned hook.

+ Reply to Thread