+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabelas rod question?

Hybrid View

Default Cabelas rod question?

Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

I'm looking forward to a backpacking/bicycle trip and I'd love to get in some fishing but all of my rods are 2pc, there fore to long. I can keep this with me and not worry about riding the bike out or anything, and I can afford it. What do you think?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

hNt,

Nope I have not tried it but I would buy one in a heart beat if it kept me from having to fight with a 2 piece rod.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have 2 of the 2 piece Three Forks, a 5 wt and a 7wt. Love them both. If I was in need of another rod, I would buy a 4 piece in a New York Minute. I say go for it.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I have only three years experience and am at best a mediocre caster, but from my experience with the rods I would say for $40 what is there to lose!

I have the 763-3 and the 865-4. They were my first rods. I still use them and enjoy them. As the product description says they are moderate action rods. As I gained more experience I upgraded to an LSI which is a faster rod. Now that my skill has improved I enjoy the LSI more, but still for a relaxing day of short casting to Bluegills the 3wt is great, but obviously now that I have experience casting the LSI I can tell the difference.

I think if you are just looking for a rod for a fun bicycle or backpacking trip, recognize this is not going to be your best rod, then for $40 I would jump all over it.

Have a great trip!

If your concern is travel, you might also look at Cabela's 6 piece rods, but they are more expensive and currently not on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Stowaway-Fly-Rods/732371.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3 D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dstowaway%26CQ_st%3Db

Bought one of these for 24.99 from the Cabela's in Eugene? Oregon. Kick myself I need the *** for not buying all of them, because 4 days later they remarked them for 45.99. Haven't tried it yet, but it lawn casts nice.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I have a 7.5' 3 wt and a 8.5' 5 wt. I got them as backup rods and don't use them very often, but they are very good rods for the money.

+ Reply to Thread