+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to be a great roll caster

Default I want to be a great roll caster

Do I need a great rod? Or a great line? Or just practice practice practice? if a rod or line will help, do you have a favorite?

Some rod/line combinations work better for some people than others however Practice is the key. But also investigate working with a good instructor. A good instructor can quickly help identify bad habits or flaws in your technique so you will be able to practice more effectively. One way to find one is through the FFF certified instructor listings. You may need to travel a bit. I see there are a number of instructors listed in Albaqueque. None in west Texas. A person doesn't have to be FFF certified to be a good instructor, but the FFF does have the online resource to help find an instructor. Fly shops or clubs are another source for instructor references. Another option is to buy one of the better instructional DVDs - or even two or three. Or even You Tube - but I see a lot of not so good instruction there as well as some good instruction.

Roll cast starts at 16:00 mark.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv9hU3aqsrs

Thanks, will try youtube first.

I've never tried a DT line, but have been told they are much easier to roll-cast. Perhaps folks with experience can chime in on this?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

A so-called jump roll will help you cast farther. The cast, in my mind, is basically a touch-and-go spey cast, a cast used by Scandinavian-style spey casters. Also, it's important that you begin your forward cast before slack weakens the d-loop. Some good casters feel that the way to keep slack out of their d-loop is to start the forward cast just before the fly stops moving towards you. Finally, to maintain line tension on the fly rod, I hold the line against the handle with my finger. Then, when I abruptly stop the rod on my forward cast, I let the line go. A downward haul will also maintain line tension.

Randy

I spent quite some time to figure that out. I hope you can learn single-handed speying rather than roll casting.
    Last edited by john_in; 10-05-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Default Practice well

Roll casting is probably the most efficient way of getting your fly back on the water. I tell beginners to aim at the horizon and let your line fall where it may at first. Then gradually aim for accuracy. Increasing your catch is based upon fly in the water and not in the air.

2 great instructional youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRaCV5c63mY&nohtml5=False
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a4i...&nohtml5=False

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    I've never tried a DT line, but have been told they are much easier to roll-cast. Perhaps folks with experience can chime in on this?
    If you look at the taper profiles for fly lines from the manufacturers you will find that in most cases, if a line comes in both a WF and DT version, the tapers will be about the same until you get into the back taper of the WF line. This will typically be somewhere between 32 and 38 ft. So they will generally cast the same out to that distance. Beyond that you may find a DT easier to roll cast due to the thicker mid section.

+ Reply to Thread