+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flies with stinger hooks??

Default Flies with stinger hooks??

Back in my bass tournament days we would install "stinger" hooks on the back of some lures such as the spinner bait to catch those fish that would short strike the lure and miss the hook. Now that I am a fly fisherman, I have had several fish short strike my flies and just bite the tail of the fly. I am in no way interested in tying any flies with stinger hooks due to the concern I have with the main fly hook being in their lib and the stinger hook down in their throat or gills. I have given some thought to how to catch these short striking fish and have a plan in my head that I just wanted to throw out here and see what other tyiers think. My plan is to tie a fly, such as a wooly bugger, and use a streamer hook that is at least 4X long in say a size 12 and instead of tying the tail in at the bend of the hook, tie it in at about the center of the hook shaft or a little bit back from center. This would still give you room for the body and would put the hook bend and point in the tail. Like I said, I am just thinking out loud and want you all to give me your thoughts on this. I will probably tie some up tonight and maybe give them a try this weekend. The only drawback that comes to my mind is that the tail may get tangled up in the hook. So, what do you all think?

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren,

I've tied many flies with stinger hooks for just such situations as you've described.

So far, have yet to 'foul' hook or even 'double hook' a fish with one. Seems that if they are striking short, they get the stinger hook only. When they get the 'main' hook, the stinger doesn't seem to get lodged, it just hangs free.

Up to you, of course, but I do use stinger hooks on some flies (only for trout fishing), primarily 'bugger and leech type flies. They do work.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:cb8bd]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:cb8bd]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Check your state regulations before you tie too many with stinger hooks. Some places are strictly 'single hook' restricted. Our salmon fishing here in Washington state is not only single hook, but also barbless.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

We have tied some stuff on tubes, which can be advantageous in aft placement of the iron also. You might want to be conscious of "tail tangling". It seems more apt with rear positioning of the hook....especially if the hook is in the tail. There are some ways to lessen the occurrence though. Mono loops and stiffenning etc.
    .....lee s.

So far, everyone seems to think I am going to tie a fly with a stinger hook, but if you read my post I stated that I was not interested in tying a fly with a stinger hook and stated why I would not tie one with a stinger hook. I was using one hook and just re-positioning the tail tie end point which puts the single hook in the tail more. Oh well, I just wanted opinions on an ideal I had. I will tie it anyway and give it a try. Thanks all.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

The part about "tail-wrapping" might still apply.
    What you write sounds like the principles in tying a "low-water" steelhead bug.
    Should work.
    ....lee s.

Hi Warren

Since it's bass we're talking about and the flies don't need to be 1000% anatomically correct, your "fix" is spot on.
    Depending on the fly a tail can give you a lot of life, and cutting it (option1) steals some of that life.
    I had exactly that problem with the local panfish and small bass, and I simply moved the tail (option 2)so you can trim it down so there's only a little sticking out behind the hookbend, but the tail lenght is still about the same.
    Cheers
    G

I have tied them both ways and they have worked. I used a 2X long hook and left about 1/3 of the tail behind the bend.

Easier to tie than anything with d=]tandem hooks.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread