From the Free Legal Dictionary, and there is much more in the quoted article on the subject of capital "N" Native Americans. Interesting reading, if you are interested in such matters as the law and history.

"Native American Rights

In the United States, persons of Native American descent occupy a unique legal position. On the one hand, they are U.S. citizens and are entitled to the same legal rights and protections under the Constitution that all other U.S. citizens enjoy. On the other hand, they are members of selfgoverning tribes whose existence far predates the arrival of Europeans on American shores. They are the descendants of peoples who had their own inherent rights-rights that required no validation or legitimation from the newcomers who found their way onto their soil."

So I agree with Ralph that he is a native American, but not with Neil who claims to be a Native American. But I'm no judge and I'm not judging either position, and others can study the issue and make their own decision.

As to the article in main, about managing fisheries, Neil's article is well written, informative, and presents a valid view point, and contributes to the ongoing discussion of which fishies are native and which are wild and which are both..

John