A lot of the merchandise in those two stores is the same stuff, with different labels. Clothing especially (which is where they make money). I used to buy a lot of stuff at Cabelas, but that has gone down over the years. The retail locations offer poor selection and mediocre customer service (nine people will ask you to get a credit card but two will actually help you if you need it). Prices in the retail stores are higher than catalog prices usually, so that I buy stuff online (almost always on sale, and with a coupon) and either get free shipping when offered, or ship to store for free and then pick it up next time I am in town. They also steal a lot of ideas from people, sell cheap store versions of other people's products, and the quality has gone down immensely in the past 25 years. I tend not to buy Cabelas rods, for instance, because I have had to take back almost every one for worn out guides or reel seats or some other cheap component issue. Every reel of theirs I have used has failed at some point.

Bass pro not so much, I still use and like their Hobbs Creek reels, and haven't had a failure yet.

Will wait and see what happens. If they drop merchandise selection by 40% as noted above, it will pretty much kill the retail outlets in my opinion.