+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not that it matters a lot to fly anglers, but ...

An employee at Cabelas last week told me that a directive had come down from on high that they HAD to reduce merchandise selection by 40% across the board. That didn't make sense then but it does now. They were my local source for Mustad hooks but that was one of the things that hit the chopping block

I hope the basic character of Cabeles remains with respect to the products they carry but I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes under both labels.

I have shopped both from catalog and later Internet. And I stop in the stores if I my travels take me near one , along with local fly shops

I have always thought Cabeles better served fly anglers in terms of product selection. And I thought Cabelas had better clothing - at least for me. I preferred Bass Pro selection for conventional saltwater gear and about even for conventional freshwater gear.

About an hour away, they just opened Cabela's about 6 months ago and Bass Pro Shops, about 15 minutes away from the Cabela's, has been open about 7 years. The BPS store is far bigger and while I'd hate to see the new Cabela's store close, the BPS is the better store, IMHO, of the two Richmond, VA stores. Now, my family and I were vacationing in Amish country last year and we took a detour to see the Cabela's near there (Hamburg, PA) and it put the Richmond BPS to shame, not that we'd go there often or even anytime soon, but I'd hate to see the Hamburg Cabela's store close.

It's not entirely a surprise, though. There was a rumor a couple of years ago (I think it was around the time they announced they were going to build the Richmond store) that BPS was going to buy Cabela's. But I agree that it removes the competition and is a disservice to the marketplace, IMHO.

Paul

Blog Entries

I am just sorry for all the employees who will end up without employment. Many people will be released because of a situation like this and good jobs are not that easy to find.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I've shopped both, but always favored Cabela's - liked rooting around in their "bargain cave".

My nearest Cabela's has reduced its flyfishing section substantially over the last year. I no longer go there for anything flyfishing related.

Chuck

My personal experience has always been that Cabela's privately labeled fishing gear is HIGHLY superior to Bass Pros, including White River brand. If they move to the inferior (IMHO) Bass Pro quality to increase profit margin, I will no longer shop at either. Sad, indeed.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Sadly, the brand new Cabela's that opened in Avon, Ohio has zero fly tying supplies and only 2 tiny shelves with any fly gear. I was there about a week after the opening and was disappointed. I have always liked Cabela's and was excited to have one less than an hour away, now not so much.

Soon to be seen will be professional fly fishing tournaments with participants in logo emblazened shirts , rods and other equipment. I can hardly wait...............NOT! Oh, and I almost forgot, spray scents .
    Hopefully none of this comes to be pass .But I WILL miss "Cabela's"

Mark

I remember when Herter's went out of business [for all practical purposes] and the Cabela's started up....I thought no way can they make if Herter's can't.....WRONG!

+ Reply to Thread