+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Synthetic hackle

Default Synthetic hackle

At least that's what Orvis is calling it. 3 yards of the hackle is 8.99. It looks like and feels like, and ties like, Lion Brands Fun Fur yarn! 67 yards for 4.99!! What a hoot to use! Michaels and Hobby Lobby both have it...our local yarn store has it with FLASH in it too!! But that's 9.00 for 70 yards!! Way too kewl!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty
    you just named some of my favorite haunts for tyeing stuff.
    Ghost

I've been using eyelash yarn for tying for several years and I also find it amusing when the rename a product and mark it up about 2000%. Check for eyelash yarn on ebay and you'll find lots of good stuff to play around with, usually for about $7-8 per skein of 87 yards.

Jim Smith

Jim Smith wrote: I've been using eyelash yarn for tying for several years...

Jim -

I too am a Hobby Lobby/Michael's junkie when looking for tying materials.

I have been seeing the "Eyelash Yarn" there for quite some time and thought there must be a place for it on the tying bench.

What do you use it for?

Betty Hiner wrote: It looks like and feels like, and ties like, Lion Brands Fun Fur yarn!

Betty -

Is the "Fun Fur Yarn" you mention the same as the "Eye Lash Yarn" that Jim wrote about?

Thanks to both of you.

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all...Put some back!"

Based on the above, I bought some of both at Michael's, but for the life of me can not seem to make much use of it for fly-tying.

Some pictures of explanations would be helpful.

The eyelash stuff is to limp and the fun fur 'hackle' is over 1 inch long and just as limp.

Has anyone tried the Orvis stuff?

Bob

Robert T, I bet you can put it where we put about 99% of all the stuff we read about. At least that is what happens to me. Jan

I ran across one possible use for the eyelash "hackle" yarn on another website. It is used for tying the "belly" of a flounder fly then a dark feather is laid over the top. This yarn might also be useful for tying some of the very small patterns needed in saltwater. Just my $.02

Spent the last week using some of the flies I tied with the fur/eyelash yarns. The longer fur works as great streamer/leech materials. The shorter makes great collars for wet flies/spiders. The flash makes great "extended body" attractors. Didn't have any saltwater close by (it's Missouri, you know) but it would make super small saltwater flies too.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

FUR OUT...doesn't have some of the issues mentioned above.

Here's a Dec. 20,04 thread...
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/003916.html:e6041]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum5/HTML/003916.html[/url:e6041]

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 21 March 2005).]

I use fake eyelash's for tails on nymphs, you can find them in the cosmetic section at your "Local Drug Store.

~ Parnelli

"Maybe the reason for AMERICA'S DRUG PROBLEM, is there are so many DRUG STORES! ~ George Carlin"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 22 March 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread