+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear nymph

Hybrid View

Default Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear nymph

I finally tied some of these up. I followed Kelly Galloup's pattern from his video on youtube about it, with a few minor changes. I did a bead-head with lead wire for weight (he uses split shot), a dubbing noodle for the abdomen instead of a dubbing loop, and I used a brown olive thread instead of the burgundy thread that Kelly uses for nymphs (it's his signature).

These are size 14. I tested them out on some Bluegills not far from home. I managed to catch several of them until I donated the fly to a Fir tree. Good thing I tied a bunch!

20160926GRHE.JPG

I did well with his Hares Ear and Baetis Nynph this past year. Your take on Galloups pattern looks great!

Blog Entries

Glad others like Kelly's version of the old standard. I really think his dubbing loop, with the "triangular " dubbing makes so much sense.

I do suspect that he will be adding a few UV Pearl dub fibers to the pattern, given the success he's had with that material. I know I will add it.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-27-2016 at 03:32 AM.

Thanks! These already went into my box. I'll have to do a production run of these this Winter when I go into a tying frenzy.

I just tied up a bunch (5 or 6) GRHE myself without the bead. Fishing last weekend and that was all they would take and I only had one and promptly lost it on a snag. Also made, no tying involved some squirmy worms.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Size 18 in Olive produced the best for me. I used the split thread technique of dubbing rather than a loop on my patterns, as size 16 was as big as I tied.

I stumbled upon this pattern when I was doing a YouTube search for baetis nymph patterns. I watched Kelly Galloups video of the baetis nymph, and the video of the GRHE started playing unexpectedly afterwards. I watched it and decided to try it out. Glad I did. The GRHE was hands down more productive than the baetis nymph.

Size 18-16 was all I used, in Natural, Olive, Black, and Chocolate. Over all Olive and natural were the best producers in the past 6 months. Black had it's moments.

+ Reply to Thread