+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear nymph

Hybrid View

I have watched Kelly's vid. and like his style. Only thing for me would be getting them to sink quickly enough.

Allen, your bead heads will work well for that. I've used some lead wire in the past under that thorax, sometimes enough to make it bulky-looking.

Since I've become happy with furled leaders I tie some nymphs less heavy that others but still so they'd get down. With furleds, I have had fun watching the end of the leader "twitch" as a signal w/o having to resort to another type of "indy", which I really hate. This, I've found, works well for my spring creeks where I don't have to fish plunge pools meaning the fly needn't get deep "right NOW"!!

Still, she needs to be close to the bottom. But who am I to argue with Kelly G. I'd like to know how he sinks his nymphs tho.

This is a great pattern and like some here, I like smallish nymphs best. You guys have shown some nice ties.

Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I have watched Kelly's vid. and like his style. Only thing for me would be getting them to sink quickly enough.

Allen, your bead heads will work well for that. I've used some lead wire in the past under that thorax, sometimes enough to make it bulky-looking.

Since I've become happy with furled leaders I tie some nymphs less heavy that others but still so they'd get down. With furleds, I have had fun watching the end of the leader "twitch" as a signal w/o having to resort to another type of "indy", which I really hate. This, I've found, works well for my spring creeks where I don't have to fish plunge pools meaning the fly needn't get deep "right NOW"!!

Still, she needs to be close to the bottom. But who am I to argue with Kelly G. I'd like to know how he sinks his nymphs tho.

This is a great pattern and like some here, I like smallish nymphs best. You guys have shown some nice ties.

Jeremy.
    He uses the "drop shot" method of nymphing. He has a video on YouTube demonstrating it. I use that method along with a couple other split shot methods to nymph with. I rarely use an indicator (bobber).

Thanks dub, I'll look for it as I'm not familiar with the term.

Nice looking patterns.
    Glad they caught something for you
    The peacock is a new style to me

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Thanks dub, I'll look for it as I'm not familiar with the term.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0eD9h1CAsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P0lKoE1QIU

Nice looking flies. The drop shot setup works great. The GRHE with the herl wing case video changed the way I tie this nymph. His Improved Baetis has proven to be a nice addition to the box.

+ Reply to Thread