+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lefty Kreh

Hybrid View

Default Lefty Kreh

I hope you enjoy this interview with Lefty Kreh

http://vimeo.com/82613171
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Interesting, particularly his comments on fly fishing industry mistakes at the end.

That interview was quite a few years ago and I think there are many less expensive and serviceable outfits available now. I think the spinning reel and spin cast reels are really most responsible for fewer fishers. Let's face the fact that most people just want to catch fish and don't care how they do it.

For those who want to fly fish, my opinion is that it has never been cheaper in constant (inflation adjusted) dollars to buy a rod/reel/line and that outfit will be way better than the ones of 50 years ago at that same inflation adjusted price. I submit that the Echo Base at $89 is way better than the original Fenwick HMG or the original Sage RP and is a fraction of those rod's cost in constant dollars. Similarly, you can now get a Cortland 333 that used to be the best fly line at its time for a fraction of the original constant dollar price.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/in...ream/echo-base

Gear Review: An entry level rod? Yes, but far more, it turns out | Fly Life Magazine

$89 ECHO Base turning heads, dropping jaws | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

On another board, Bill Gammel was raving about the Echo Base.

It is very true that there are many inexpensive but high quality rods available right now. But generally speaking, most name brand rods are still expensive. A part of the reason has to do with the warranty. However, as some companies have ended the warranty for their rods, they still kept the rods in same price. Who are responsible for this? I think the customers. As long as there are people who are willing to pay 1000 dollars for a rod, there will be companies selling rods for that price. I still remember how Redinngton crosswater rod used to be like. I could use that rod to outcast most name brand rods. But it only costed 59 dollars.

Expensive is a relative term and I submit the proposition that for most fly fishers, what a fly fisher considers "expensive" changes as they becomes more accomplished fly fishers. I submit that we (myself included) impose our own value system when we discuss the cost of fly fishing.

I also submit that no one is forced or needs to buy an expensive fly rod or equipment to enjoy or learn fly fishing.

I also submit that Lefty Kreh has limited his comments to new equipment and ignored the availability and cost of used equipment. So Lefty states that new rods are too expensive but what about the availability of used equipment or the steep closeout discounts on rods, reels and lines when new products are introduced. My conclusion is that Lefty; and also, we have tilted the table by totally ignoring what is available if the buyer does some research. It is analogous to stating that housing and automobiles are too expensive because new houses and new cars are costly, and they have to buy the luxury houses and automobiles. What? Does a renter or bus rider really have to buy a luxury new house or a luxury new car? Of course not. Similarly, a person who wants to get into fly fishing can buy used equipment or cheap new rods and reels if they have a very limited budget.
    Regards,

Silver

+ Reply to Thread