+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gold Mine Without A Shovel

Blog Entries

Default Gold Mine Without A Shovel

I was a guide from 2003 to 2008. The people I met were great and taking photos was the bomb but....

Going to a trout stream and watching people fish was like going to a gold mine without a shovel.

http://lenharris.blogspot.com/2016/0...ut-shovel.html

Blog Entries

Len,

That is why I always try to talk my guides into grabbing one of my rods and do some fishing. I don't mind it at all, it gives me a break to relax my hand and shoulder, I may learn something or a new technique from watching the guide cast and catch a few fish, and most importantly, they get to cast and catch some fish. I can't imaging being out on the river for months on end and never getting to do any fishing, just watch other people. Most of my guides will break down and do some fishing when they see I am serious about it. I did have one guide who said he 'never' fished when he was guiding. I had brought along a member of my club who was fairly new to fly fishing and having a hard time on a particular style of casting. I had asked the guide to pay particular attention to him and help him out whenever he could. One time he was demonstrating a cast and he hooked a fish. He tried to hand the rod to my friend, who refused it, then he tried to hand the rod to me and I refused it and I told him to just enjoy the moment and bring the fish in. I am sure he really didn't mind.

Larry ---sagefisher---

One guide told us there was no winning if you fished with a client - if you caught a fish, you weren't working hard enough for your client and if you didn't you were a dud. Kind of made sense, though I would still have liked to see him fish. That said, I think watching fishing is a bore.

The river we guide on is usually quite busy and people know who the guides are. If you are fishing with a client then you will quickly get a reputation as a guide who fishes with clients. Not a good thing to have spread around. (IMHO)

+ Reply to Thread