+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whiting vs. Herbert Miner

1. Default Whiting vs. Herbert Miner

What are the differences between these two different dry fly hackles besides that Herbert Miner has a better natural color range...

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Contact Whiting. They are always willing to answer these questions.

Both the Hebert Miner and Whiting are great hackle. The major difference i find is the hook size each "brand" will tie. For larger flies the Hebert Miner hackle is ideal, where as if you want to hackle smaller flies the Whiting is better.

With saddles in the Hebert Miner line you can expect hackles from about #6 or 8 down to the odd #16, with the Whiting most of the saddles i have range from the odd #12 a lot of #14 & #16 and a few #18

Hope this helps some.

Regards,

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com:78b7a]http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com[/url:78b7a]

Hi Mike,

The Whiting hackle is from the genetic strain of birds Tom got from Henry Hoffman. The Hebert/Miner birds were from stock he got from Ted Hebert who worked with genetic stock he (Ted) got from Andy Miner. I think some of the Miner stock goes back to Harry Darbee but don't quote me on that. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:25803]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:25803]

Boy Al you are full of advice today. Glad you are sharing it with us. Thanks, Jan

Al,

According to a knowledgeable and reliable source whose stock came from Harry Darbee, Andy Miner got his initial stock from the Darbees as well.

Allan

Al and Allan are correct. The Hebert/Miner stock came from Darbee to Miner to Hebert and now to Tom Whiting who named them Hebert/Miner in keeping with their origination. They are different birds than the Whiting stock that he got from Hoffman. Nice feathers on both. I think the Whiting stock is a better feather...and the price difference between the two reflects that.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

I'm probably going to say something unpopular here, but I think the Whiting is better. I agree that the Hebert Miner has more traditional colors, at least to my eye, but I've used both and the Hebert Miner has a twist that I don't like. For me, it just doesn't tie as easily.
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread