+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good grief

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Good grief

After several attempts to catch anything living, I continue to lose my flys. I'm using an improved clinch knot, and clearly it still needs improving.
    Grace comes by art, and art does not come easy

Blog Entries

your likely snapping them off with bad casting form.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

After you have tied the knot check just behind it and if there is any 'wrinkling' or if it looks wavy retie it. The wraps have tightened too soon and may have 'burned' the main line.

Wet the tippet before cinching the knot. Watch your backcast. You might be snapping the flies off like a whip. I've lost some like that.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Try a Uni knot.

Blog Entries

Missdavidson,

There are a few possibilities. As suggested by Eric, snapping them off while casting is one possibility. Do you hear a cracking or snapping sound when you are making your cast? If so, then you can very easily snap off a fly, like the tip of a whip, the tip is going 'supersonic' and flies don't like to do that. If that is the case then you need to modify how you cast, slow down bit and also allow the line to totally load your fly rod before you change direction, then do that a little softer.

Another possibility as suggested by Tig is a burning of the leader/tippet where you tie on the fly. When you tighten a knot, if you do it too fast or hard, the leader will slip really fast against itself and actually create enough heat to cause the material to heat up or burn. Much like a rug burn when you slide your hand or knee across a rug really fast. Burning the leader in a knot really weakens it. That is why jimsnarocks suggested moistening the leader before you tighten it. The moisture helps the knot tighten without burning it.

Another possibility is the knot itself. At the end of your leader, where the knot was, do you see little curly-cues? Or, is the tip a clean break? A curly tip means the knot simply came undone and that is why the fly came off. A clean break means the leader broke. If there are curls, then tie the knot better. If it is a clean break, then consider other choices, listed above and below.

Which brings to mind, just when does your fly leave your leader? When casting or when you actually have a fish on?

Anyway, another possibility is you have some bad leaders/tippet. Mono especially is prone to getting old or damaged by the sun or getting little cuts. Any of those possibilities will cause the leader to break. I have run into some leaders/tippet that even though it was new to me, may have been hanging around the shelves in the store way too long and gotten damaged. Give the fly a decent tug when you tie it on. If the leader/tippet breaks then replace it with a new leader.

Maybe you are using a leader that is too light for the fly and fishing conditions. Personally, I tend to use one sixe 'X' higher than most people do because I like to get the fish in and released as soon as possible and not have to play it too long, thus wearing out the fish. I don't know what type of fish you are going after, but if you are fishing for bass or other spinyray fish, then they tend to be predators and are not very leader shy. Trout on the other hand tend to be leader shy until they get big and turn into predator fish.

Almost forgot. Setting the hook too hard can also break off the fly some of the above problems exist. So, if you loose the fly when setting the hook and you have eliminated the above problems, then try setting the hook a little softer, not too soft, but little.

Anyway, those are some possibilities. Hope this has given you some ideas on how to correct the problem.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 09-09-2016 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added about setting the hook

Out here where I go, it usually is a sage brush or other bush, or a tree branch to blame. The wind, Mariah, likes to pick on me.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Thanks guys!
    Grace comes by art, and art does not come easy

4 ideas:

1. Hire a guide near you for a half day trip. I have employed a guide many times and I have always learned a lot. Tell he or she up front you are a newbie and they will adjust.

2. Get a casting lesson at your local fly shop. Prob cheaper than the 1st idea.

3. Go to a local TU meeting and dont be shy about asking for a little casting help. I think you will find a small and helpful group, at least that has been my experience. Here is a link http://www.tu.org/connect/chapter-se...&commit=Search

4. Try golf (only kidding )
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Blog Entries

we lady fly anglers are also much more careful to apply sunscreen before fishing. my knots held a lot better if i washed my hands after putting it on...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread