+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hackle Gauges...

1. Default Hackle Gauges...

Do you guys use gauges or just check it on the hook? I do a little of both but I am wondering now how accurate gauges are.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

When I am doing a whole Neck or Saddle, I use the Al Troth gauge. Clamps into the vise like a hook. It is the easiest one for me.

3. Default

Where can I get/see one?

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

This is the only one I could find.
    [url=http://www.anglersupplyhouse.com/default.asp?page=online&action=item&itmid=106:98db 4]http://www.anglersupplyhouse.com/default.asp?page=online&action=item&itmid=106[/url:98db4]

I have the Metz Hackle Guage and I love it because it just lives on my vise stem and is there when I need it. It's made of aluminum and sits on an angle when on the stem making measuring easier. For some reason the Metz guage is not available in many shops but well worth the hunt if you want this type of guage. It's better IMHO than the Griffin version.

As far as accuracy is concerned I use it more as a point of reference than as an absolute when choosing hackle sizes.

Mike,

I believe I used one a long time ago but no longer. Just got to the point where, if I'm not sure about the size of the hackle, I'll measure it against the shank of the hook itself. Now I'm not saying that gauges should not be used or that even experienced tyers don't use them. They do. For example, Mary Dette uses one to measure each hackle. It's the same gauge her parents used. I believe she has several gauges for different types of hooks. However, and here's the qualifier, the gauge is only as good(accurate?) as the hook manufacturer on which it was based. That's why gauges are somewhat different.

Now, here's another element to throw in. The gauges are based on putting the hackle on a bare hook shank. Any build-up from wings or thorax adds to the base on which you're wrapping the hackle.

Allan

7. Default

Thanks JC...but I already have a gauge that more or less collects dust now.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Hi Mike,

Alan (tieflies) is so right regarding hackle gages and the hook they are based on. When I worked on the Whiting 100 Hackle Gage I found that most dry fly hooks from size 8 to 14 are fairly close in the distance of the gape but at size 16 things really went to heck. By the time you get to size 20 the difference in the hook gape from one manufacturer to the next can be almost a half size or more! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:43796]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:43796]

+ Reply to Thread