Thread: Another double haul myth

Threaded View

Default Another double haul myth

So many people have said that doing the double haul is like rubbing your belly while patting your head. That scares people, because some people will immediate try to rub their bellies and patting their heads to see if they qualify for double hauling a fly rod. I learned to double haul never knowing the association between it and the rubbing belly/patting head drill. I have also helped (I don't like the word 'taught') people who can't rub belly while patting head to double haul. Let's treat these two things as separate. Learning double haul is a lot easier than doing the rubbing/patting drill. Rubbing/patting drill may not be natural to some people, hauling with two hands can be. If anyone can learn to move hands separately but not in totally different directions, one can double haul. Doing the rubbing/patting is actually more difficult than doing the double haul because it involves moving hands in two different planes. Doing the double haul only involves one hand going back and forward while the other hand is following it in a up/down motion. It is a lot easier to do. Don't be scared by the saying that when you double haul you are doing the same thing like rubbing belly while patting your head.
    Last edited by john_in; 10-18-2016 at 05:14 AM.