+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pearlness on crease flies?

Default Pearlness on crease flies?

I've been tying crease flies lately and I've noticed they've been missing something. How or what would I use to give them a pearl look to them. I've been using cheap nail polish for the colors and it works great. I've also used a sparkle clear coat just to give them some attraction but I'm getting tired of using the same sparkle stuff so what do you guys use to make them pearly? Thank you!

I just started tying Crease flies, so I am far from an expert, but I bought some foam at the craft shop that is sticky on one side. I also bought some wrapping paper that is holographic, silver on one side, gold on the other. I then stuck the holographic wrapping paper to the sticky side of the foam, some silver, some gold, and proceeded to cut out my bodies.

They look decent to me, but have yet to be shown to a fish. Maybe the last week of the month when I am in Houston.

Don
    Don Rolfson

Beautiful idea. I didnt think of using wrapping paper. I have some foil type but I'll pick up some more of the stuff you suggested. Thank you!

You could also try Tulip glitter paint sold in Michaels and other craft stores. They sell it in various sizes for writing on shirts. It's waterproof and can be brushed on the foam.

Looks like I'll be making a trip up to Michaels tomorrow. I also found out from my sister just a little while a go a nail polish called cotton candy will work the same way. So I'll give them all a shot! Thank you guys!!

Try LocoFoam. It is a bit expensive but the colors and pearlescense (sp?) are great.

Regards,
    Keith

I use the sticky back foam for my crease flies. I use silver transfer foil for my first layer pressing it against the sticky side. Next I'll coat this with foiling glue and when that's tacky I'll press Mother of Pearl transfer over that, and it gives me a nice pearlescent silver foam. Add color with permanent markers, and coat with Anglers Choice Soft Body Epoxy. I'll make an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet up at one time, and can get quite a few flies out of it.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hey Tim,

I use sticky-sided white foam from Michael's or Hobby Lobby and apply pearly gift wrap that I bought at the Dollar Tree. I use a rubber, four inch roller (from Hobby Lobby) and really give it a good rolling to make sure that the two materials bond tightly. I have also used Loco Foam but the price is right up there with gasoline compared to the other materials. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

If you buy the kits from Joe Blados(Originator of the Crease Fly) you'll get the transfer foils and the sticky backed foam,plus well written instructions and a completed Example of a Crease Fly signed by joe (Usually). You can substitute various "foils' if you know where to get them. The adhesive on the sticky-backed foams and the ease of transfer of the foils to the foam is sometimes an issue. Some brands of foam have adhesive that is not well suited to proper crease fly fly making. The foam can be of improper density and thickness too. So be carefull what you buy. Buying the kits from Joe means that all these little mysteries are solved for you. Also, once you buy a kit and need more foam or foil-you have the reference materials on-hand in order to duplicate them effectively.

I love making crease flies. They are one of my favorite synthetic flies. Joe was very creative in coming up with this fine pattern.

Rich

Wow! Thank you all for the great suggestions! Where can I get transfer foil from? Is it sold at hobby/craft stores? If I cant find it I'll give the pearl gift wrap a shot. Thank you everyone!

+ Reply to Thread