Thread: Fly fishing the white river with two of my kids

Threaded View

Spend the whole time on Dry Run - forget about the main rivers and about your fishing. Play gilly and photographer... Fish the WHOLE CREEK! Both sides of the road (yeah the falls on the downstream side of the road, as well as below the falls (as far as they can go) & especially hit the "side streams".. DON"T get hung up on the "popular"areas... They are NOT the BEST!!!

It's about them... let them "play" in the rocks or do what they want... They'll fish more, and you all will have a better time if they understand (and YOU understand) that this time is about them... NOT YOU... Drinks and Ice Cream at the store / pizza for dinner...

Know and teach them about poison ivy!!!

Bite the bullet and bring or buy a long-handled, high-quality net... It'll be the best money that you ever spent.Have at least three rods, so that you can continually be ready with a another "rigged and ready" rod with a new leader/fly... or different fly. The kids hate it when Dad spends 15 minutes re-rigging and /or fighting to get snagged fly out of the trees, while the kids just stand there... You are the gilly... So, act like a well-paid gilly... That is your job, not being Dad...

Be open to asking others to help your boys or at least taking advice... You never know how a stranger may "make your trip" and your kids make that person's trip... (Remember that the adults can't fish the Creek, but many would kill to be able to put a kid on some big Dry Run trout!) My kids fished with many different folks... Many were (are) absolutely marvelous flyfishers who generously gave my kids some great experiences!

Zebras, zebras, zebras, scuds, san juans (in different colors - pink, red, brown, claret, tan, etc.), other small nymphs.. Small is better... Hire a guide for a day ... I have favorites (PM me)

Put 'em in waders.... again it opens a very different fishing trip for them... also vests, hemostats and their own fly boxes of flies...

Bowfin47

PS

Do Not be tempted to wet a line on the Creek... The game wardens can use binoculars from vantage points that you cannot see and they can and SHOULD NAIL YOU if you fish! Others will take your picture and email to the game wardens... I know as I have done so...
    Last edited by bowfin47; 09-03-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson