+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: U.V. Knot sense trouble

As I write this I have six fly lines with a nail knot loop connection, coated in U.V. knot sense out in the sun to dry. It is currently -6 C here and it does take a little while for the adhesive to dry, but it is nice and sunny outside.

I have seen some of the flies that Rich has tied with this stuff and it looks like a great alternative to epoxy. So, I ma still looking for a lamp, but that'll come. -Yaf
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

Mejiers and wal-mart probably have them I know a swa some type of light to use on lures at both might try be alot cheaper probably to. Later Matt

------------------
    To each there own !

Yaffle, drop me an email. There ia a Mini UV Lamp available that retails for about $11.00 Cdn that should do the trick. (it looks like a penlight)

Regards,

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com:703c1]http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com[/url:703c1]

Yaffle-This sounds serious. You need to stay indoors and play with stuff when it so cold outside

Firstly:

The regular (non-UV Cure) Knot Sense is better for knots than is the UV product. The regular Knot sense is just tuffer by a little bit and not as brittle by far. It cures all by itself in about 30 minutes indoors, or outdoors on a nice warm day.

Just the same, what you have applied to your lines is OK and will need to be replenished if you fish them hard enough and the nail knots get whacked on a rock or log and the coating comes off. The UV variety is great for on-the-stream repairs or leader changes. Next time-try the "original" recipe for rigging when you have lots of time to cure it.

Secondly, if you want a suggestion on a cool little pocket lamp that I have experimented with and know to effectively cure UV Knot sense, then here is one such devise:

Litepro Quasar Ultra Light

It can be purchased on-line (Hope it is OK to post this link JC-as this is a non-angling site and product)

[url=http://pocketlights.com/quasar.asp:8fb96] Pocket Lights[/url:8fb96] See Review links too.

The Litepro Quasar Ultra Light is a multi-function LED keychain flashlight that provides:
    Ultra bright white strobe
    Steady white light
    Hidden surveillance detector
    UV Strobe
    UV steady light
    Counterfeit currency detector

Ha! this light even blinks if it detects a radar signal or a bug on your phone. What a hoot. $9.95 US

It will cure UV Knot Sense. Not all UV lamps output the correct frequency and some UV lamps will not cure UV Knot Sense.

FYI- I sent a tube of UV Knot Sense to my light Guru and he tested several different lamps and came-up with one for me(a 5 watt, dental Blue UV Lamp) that snap cures the UV Knot Sense in 5 seconds. Not everyone will want a lmap that strong,nor that expensive. I have just about stopped using Epoxy on flies altogether and use the UV lamp all of the time.

Hope this helps...

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 19 March 2005).]

Rich, thanks for the suggestion, looks like a neet little item.

I sent Jamie an e-mail, he is going to check out a lamp for me, so I'll be waitiing to see how this works out. Like I said earlier if I can buy it Cdn that would be the way to go, saves a bundle on duty, shipping etc.

But tks for your effort, others may consider this light and it may be something I'll look at down the road.

I've seen your fly pictures where you make good use of this product and since I do have some I thought why not... I've wanted to tie some epoxy back nymphs, but the bother with epoxy, you know.

Now if Jamie can rush that shipment along
    Just kidding, I've got time to spare now that the mighty sun has done a good job on this first lot.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind to use the regular knot sense for more permanent knots, and keep a good eye on these knots for now.
    -Yaf
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

Yaf,

I will let you know how well it works after i get done testing it. You should hear from me by saturday at the latest.

Regards,

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com:3ff6c]http://jamie_caddick.tripod.com[/url:3ff6c]

+ Reply to Thread