Hi Sage, thanks for your answer. Yes...many variables here also. That's why I asked.
I normally don't use strike indicators, however your usual technique with one of those and 2 nymphs sounds good to try here. I prefer just one fly but if I go with dropperI like a foam "something" (Amy's Ant, Fat Albert, beetle, etc.) and a caddis pupa-emerger (curved hook scud style) below it.
About hatches...mayflies and caddis on diverse size. But the question was around just attractors, not matching the hatch.
Thanks again!
R.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
Rocket,

Too may variables I am afraid regarding the flies.

But, I don't do long dry/dropper combinations, usually my dropper is around 18 to 20 inchs (opps, sorry, 45.72 cm to 60.96 cm) below my dry. Any more than that I simply go with both flies being nymphs and fish under a strike indicator. That combination I have fished as deep as 15 feet, but getting the fish to the boat is a bit tricky.

The size of the dry will be determined by the size of the dropper. If you are using a size 10 Pat's Rubber Legs Stonefly (weighted) then you better have a rather large foam hopper style dry fly to be able to keep I afloat. If you are using a size 16 or 18 Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail, then a size 12 or 14 Parachute (Adams or PMD or BWO type) would be ok. Or a decent sized Caddis, or Stimulator, or ...............What are the hatches?................

So, what would you use down there?

Larry ---sagefisher---