+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braided Loop Material

Default Braided Loop Material

what are you using to make braided loops these days for connecting fly lines (#4-6)? Cortland braided line is no longer made or hard to get. Thanks

If I understand you correctly, you're referring to the loop in the end of a fly line to connect leaders to the fly line? If so, I simply make a small loop in the fly line. wrap it with thread and pull the tag under like when making rods. I've never had one fail yet and I've been using them exclusively for 20 years or so.

Jim Smith

Jim, Thank you!! I'd often thought about doing that but feared I'd lose everything from the line out!
    Fritz, another thing , that I HAVE done for that many years, is tye a perfection loop in some firm-ish leader, and nail knot it to the end of the line. Works for me ... but I am going to try Jim's idea!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

I will stick with my time proven method, the same method that Betty uses. We had this discussion some time ago about braided loop type fly line tips and some people really liked them but many years ago I had two of them come off in my hand so I never used them again. The perfection loop tied on a 6 inch or less section of the thick butt of an old leader then the other end nail knotted onto the line works great and lasts a very long time. However, many of the newer lines are coming with the loop already in them and those are good for a year or two before I cut them off and use the leader method.

Larry ---sagefisher---

To avoid a bump at the point where the loop ends I cut the fly line at an angle So the looped material is tapered. I coat the thread wraps with pliobond from Ace hardware for better durability.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I have heard of some people using hollow super braid lines in 100 pound test or greater. Some manufacturers offer short lengths of these, like 25 meters, for $12-15. One online vendor that offers these is Charkbait.com.

Ted

I've learned how to weld the fly line end. I have not had one fail in two years. Not a hard process, you just have to take your time and be patient.

Blog Entries

I too had braided loops come off at inopportune moments, and do use lines with integral loops on occasion. Otherwise, like others, I nail knot a short length of heavy mono in and loop the leader to that.

I made my own loops with the Cortland braided line for a while and they worked okay, but now I just make a whipped loop with the flyline and coat the thread wraps with UV Knotsense.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Some people have got it here.

http://www.mchardys.co.uk/prodet.php...28&rowpos=1628

I found some Gudebrod braided mono, also no longer made, on eBay.

Most mid to high end lines now have very good loops but they can wear out

I will not use a nail knot to connect a leader butt on my heavy weight gear. I have seen anglers who insisted this was sufficient watch as yellowfin tuna and yellowtail just strip these off the end of a fly line. I do use this type of connection on much of my freshwater setups though. The nail knot connection works well across a wide range of fishing conditions

A properly constructed and properly attached braided mono loop will be stronger than the fly line. Home made double catch loops are much stronger than most of the commercially available loops which have a single glued catch. I have had a couple of fly lines break before the loop failed.

Several good suggestions in this thread for alternatives to braided loops. They all have their place.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 08-29-2016 at 05:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread