+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lending a helping hand

Default Lending a helping hand

I met a young man the other day that is a conventional angler but was dipping his toe into fly fishing. We traded info and were tentatively planning to fish together in the near future. Well long story short he called me today and while he was getting diapers for his son last night at walmart someone broke into his truck and stole all his fishing gear including his $40 big 5 fly setup and his spinning rod and tackle box. He wasn't asking for anything from me other than advice on where he may be able to find a fly set up on an extremely limited budget.

Now maybe this is just a con job but I really don't think so. We talked for some time the other night before I gave him my contact info and I really feel like he is a young guy with a new family trying to put together a few dollars at a time to pursue a hobby. I have been in his shoes and would gladly make him a deal of a lifetime if I had a spare rod and reel. My wife and I discussed it and I checked out Cabelas bargain Cave and they have A Prestige outfit marked way down that looks like it would be a good starter package and includes everything he will need to get started. I can tie him a box full of flies and he will be able to upgrade and add as his budget allows.

So after all that my question is; Has anyone used the Cabelas prestige rod and is it a decent starter for a young man to learn the basics with? Is there a budget package out there that you would recommend over the Cabelas package? My budget is tight but I have been lent a hand up a few times over the years and would like to pay something back, so am asking for help finding some reasonable quality equipment.

Thank you all

Bikebum

Blog Entries

this question was asked on another forum i read, and the Cabela's kit was rated very well. In fact, lots of other kits put out by companies that sell individual rods and reels were also recommended. for beginners they're economical and everything matches.
    so if you can help this fellow out, go for it!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Blog Entries

Bikebum,

I agree with Casey. The beginner outfit sold by Cabela's, would be a good starter outfit for a person. As for I being a scam or not, you never really know for sure, all you can do is go by your gut feeling and either buy the outfit or not. If it is a scam, shame on him. If it isn't, then good for you. You could arrange to meet him at a park or grassy area somewhere to give him the basics of casting before you hit the water. That may show you if he is really interested in learning fly fishing or not. If all you get are excuses as to why he can't meet you for that, then you can always re-gift the rod outfit to some other cause or keep it as a back up for yourself.

Larry ---sagefisher---

If you have concern about it being a scam ask about a police report, scamsters don't call the police and then there is CCTV at the store. Almost everyone has it now. Probably just bad luck on his part.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks all. Uncle Jesse he did file a police report but you are right that one is a sure sign of BS. Larry, thanks for that thought, he and I have spoken again and we will be meeting at a small pond between us to practice casting a couple times with a rod of mine before I can get anything lined up.

Kevin

Orvis has a package for their Encounter rod for $169.00. Includes rod, reel, backing, line and leader. All one needs is the fly/flies.
    Hope your efforts to help are rewarded and a new member is added to our fishing community.

+ Reply to Thread