+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Au Sable in August?

Hybrid View

Default Au Sable in August?

Didn't make the Michigan fish-in this year, but a friend and I are heading up next weekend. Any suggestions for patterns this time of year? Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Call Gates Lodge for the latest . I would guess that the main branch is quite warm so consider concentrating on the colder North branch. I would expect tricos, small bwos and terrestrials to be the best dry fly choices along with midges and small caddis.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Well, I am here and the Main Branch is not that warm. We just had a good rain yesterday and the river is back to a good late summer normal. Tricos are plentiful in the morning if you want to go that small. It's the time of year that the attractors/terrestrials are doing well. I caught several browns a couple of days ago on a Madsen Skunk. I've also had some luck with Charlie Craven's "Charlie Boy Hopper. The fish (Browns and Brooks) seemed more than willing to rise to those flies in a size 12 & 14 (something I can see). Josh at Gates told some guy the other day, "when in doubt, go with a Patriot".

Fishing pressure is now down, but the aluminum hatch is still in full swing from about 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The tube brigades can be a problem for a person trying to fish in the afternoon. The North Branch does not allow the canoe liveries, so there is less of a problem there. I have had no luck with caddis patterns, but the other standards, as mentioned above may do well.... especially in the morning. Also, don't overlook the lighter colored patterns. I have seen a few PMD coming off through the day in front of my house. I have not been down to the big water this year, but I hear streamers are working well. One of my neighbors caught a 23 inch brown down there a few nights ago. Hope to run into you while you are here.
    God Bless America

Thanks for the info. I meant to get back on here sooner to thank you guys, bbut life gets in the way. Just arrived in Grayling last night. Going scouting this morning. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Just wanted to thank jcampbell for the hospitality. My buddie Brad and I had a great time. Weather and wind didn't cooperate for us on this trip, but I still managed to catch my biggest brookie ever and Brad caught his first fish on a fly and first trout on a fly too! Brads casts got better and his fish got bigger, I think he's hooked! I'm having a great time teaching. It's amazing how much I've forgotten and what comes rushing back when I have someone else to teach. It's improving my fishing too. Thanks again John for sharing your wisdom and your little slice of heaven.

Luke,
    It was a pleasure meeting both of you and having you visit with us. Glad you enjoyed your time on the AuSable. Hope to see you again next year.
    God Bless America

+ Reply to Thread