+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An upslale agrument

Hybrid View

Smile An upslale agrument

In my family we have a retired semi-pro ball player who wants to start fly fishing and thinks casting well will be a piece of cake.
    I contend that skillful casting requires just as much skill as pitching a baseball. Will I win?

Can you pitch?
    Isaiah 41:10

Most true atheletes that can master one sport can shorten the training to become proficient at another. Michael Jorden was a great golfer and so so baseball player, Bo Jackson could have been a hall of famer in Baseball and was an amazing running back, just 2 really bad examples. So the gist of where I am going is...Maybe. If he can translate his eye hand coordination it took to become good at baseball to the concept of casting line and not a weightless fly then he may pick it up quickly, on the other hand if he can't wrap his mind around the concept no amount of physical gifts will shorten the learning curve

Sorry, but I would not equate casting a fly rod to be even remotely near the level of skill required to be a pitcher in any league higher than single-A High school. The difference between high school baseball and college level is a major jump in talent and skills required. The difference between college and the minor leagues is an even larger jump in talent and skills. Anyone who makes it even to the minor leagues in Major League baseball is one heck of an athlete; period. I will bet that this person picks up a fly rod and if he listens to the person teaching him, he will be casting fairly well in an afternoon. I'm not saying he's going to be a top level talent in casting right off the bat (no pun intended), but he will certainly be good enough to catch plenty of fish in all but the most challenging situations. Just my two cents worth...

Jim Smith

I agree with Jim Smith .... one afternoon would be sufficient. My brother, who had never picked up a flyrod, was doing quite well in the yard after 30 minutes. I know the yard ain't the same as the stream, but he was throwing at targets and doing well at it.

As the fellow teaching my son said (in his Scots accent) "Casting is dead easy son, it's the catching that is the hard part."
    That being said he had my son casting very respectfully in about an hour, after the basics I believe it is just practice and muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    In my family we have a retired semi-pro ball player who wants to start fly fishing and thinks casting well will be a piece of cake.
    I contend that skillful casting requires just as much skill as pitching a baseball. Will I win?
    I'm sure he will do well. At least in his own mind. Most of us are cock-sure we are far better than our compadres any way, when it comes to our casting.

Once upon a time I was ball player and pitcher though not at the professional level giving it up after HS. I think becoming an efficient fly caster is much easier. Body mechanics are important for both but more things need to be managed well and in concert to pitch effectively. Over the years i have observed several athletes from different sports learn to flycast/fish. They all did well though some initially tried to be too forceful, which is common for non athletes too.

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    Once upon a time I was ball player and pitcher though not at the professional level giving it up after HS. I think becoming an efficient fly caster is much easier. Body mechanics are important for both but more things need to be managed well and in concert to pitch effectively. Over the years i have observed several athletes from different sports learn to flycast/fish. They all did well though some initially tried to be too forceful, which is common for non athletes too.
    There,s reason why they throw too hard, ever thought about why that is.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Blog Entries

out of a group of novice ladies one day, the one with the most trouble was a softball player who insisted on trying to throw the rod. "stop at the top" was just not going to happen!
    yes, an athlete can master another sport, but sometimes one will interfere with the other.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread