One fly I have found that swims very much like a sluggo. It is a red and white hackle fly, like a sea-ducer, but I tie it upside down. I don't think a bass would hang on to it for long, but it is primarily a sight bait.

To get it to swim upside down, there are two tricks. One, the hackle tail is tied on the inside of the hook shank, tilting towards the hook point. Two, trim the hackle collar flat across the top of the hook shank (since it will swim upside down, the top of the hook shank is the bottom of the fly). Flies with material on the inside of the shank will ride upside down, weighted on not.

This fly darts from side to side (though not quite as much as a sluggo) I think because the hackle collar is trimmed. It sinks very slowly when wet (it floats when dry) and is pretty weedless. You can let it sink to the bottom without too much risk of it hanging up.

I tie this on a mustad short shank bait saver hook. I usually add a bit of flash. It casts very well; I can through one 4 inches long on my 3 weight with no problem. I think my next will have red crystal chenille on the shank, with a white hackle palmered on top of it.

I hope the above directions makes some sense.

Russ