+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuetral Bouyant Flies.

One fly I have found that swims very much like a sluggo. It is a red and white hackle fly, like a sea-ducer, but I tie it upside down. I don't think a bass would hang on to it for long, but it is primarily a sight bait.

To get it to swim upside down, there are two tricks. One, the hackle tail is tied on the inside of the hook shank, tilting towards the hook point. Two, trim the hackle collar flat across the top of the hook shank (since it will swim upside down, the top of the hook shank is the bottom of the fly). Flies with material on the inside of the shank will ride upside down, weighted on not.

This fly darts from side to side (though not quite as much as a sluggo) I think because the hackle collar is trimmed. It sinks very slowly when wet (it floats when dry) and is pretty weedless. You can let it sink to the bottom without too much risk of it hanging up.

I tie this on a mustad short shank bait saver hook. I usually add a bit of flash. It casts very well; I can through one 4 inches long on my 3 weight with no problem. I think my next will have red crystal chenille on the shank, with a white hackle palmered on top of it.

I hope the above directions makes some sense.

Russ

Russ,
    Have you tried experimenting with the EC413 60* jig hook? They seem to get a bit of promotion around here by guys who are trying to "turn over" their bugs. They seem to have great success with clousers and other weighted patterns especially.
    We use your trim method and add a weedless wire (not EC413) for tossing together some of our bass bugs that we toss into the slop and poop. Hook point up is a great advantage for that.
    ......lee s.

I haven't tried those hooks yet, but I have been meaning to. I have been too lazy to look for them, to be honest--the local fly shop doesn't carry them.

I started using the mustad hook for gurglers a few years back, and my hooked fish ratio went way up. It especially does a good job on those small river sunfish that tend to get foul hooked a lot. The offset shank sometimes is a problem, but I like them a lot otherwise. I will give the jig hooks a try as well.

Russ

+ Reply to Thread