On the last day of spring break my son and I were cleaning the garage. We noticed that several kids were fishing in the pond just across the street from my house. I live in a neighborhood here in Texas with a system of ponds created by a small creek that flows right through the center of the houses.

My son began to ask if we could go and fish. Since the ponds are new and I wasn't really thrilled with fishing a sub 5 acre pond with nothing but juvenile bluegill I refused. But he was very persistent and I agreed after a time. Of course we were fly-fishing. He took his 9 ft 5, and I took my 6,6 2 wt. We fished size 18 mosquitoes and as I suspected we caught many 4 inch gills.

I got bored after a while and tied on a black size 8 bugger. I could barely cast the fly in the wind but I managed. I gave it 2 short strips and a pause and what I felt on the other end of my 7x tippet was just a little more than I bargained for. I had hooked a 3 pound large mouth. After a bit of a fight my son lifted him out of the pond and you should have seen the reaction of the kids fishing with us. Too bad spring break was over. Next time I will take the 6 or 7 wt and we?ll see just what else is in that pond.

Jon