+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Glass, New Groove

Default Old Glass, New Groove

glassgill.JPG

After having the Profile rebuilt, I had been struggling to find the perfect match that would make this rod feel perfect in the hand. It felt way to tip heavy for me, and just didn't seem to throw a nice loop without a little "help". As a result, it would tear up my wrist and shoulder after a days fishing. That all changed last night with a short evening trip to the pond in the 94 degree heat. I had decided to bump my CGR 7/8 up to an 8wt bass line to help with larger bugs. It throws a 7wt line perfectly, but I don't have an 8wt rod otherwise. SO, I picked up a new Orvis Hydros Bass taper and took it out during the week. I was disappointed to find out that the CGR struggled with the 8wt bass taper, and even more disappointed that I had seemingly wasted money on a line I really didn't have a rod for. Then yesterday, I decided to spool the line on an Orvis/Martin 67SS reel and see just how the Profile handled it? The result?.....a rod came to life. The 7wt with the heavier Martin fell right into the hand, and threw that 8wt line clear into the running line like it was nothing. It was shooting line straight as an arrow 10-15 feet into the orange running line with a #2 hairbug. I was pleasantly surprised since it actually feels at first like a very soft 7wt.

DSCN0086.JPG

The fish were eager but the rod stole the day.

For the full blog, click on thelink below:

http://www.ralphsflybox.com/2016/07/old-glass-new-groove.html

Glad you found her "groove" Ralph. As I said before, that guy did a great rebuild on the rod.

Dave

Dave, I agree. He did a really fine job. The difference between a 7 & an 8wt line on this rod, is like night and day. I was surprised. BTW..hope you've put that rod to good use.

Did the guy in edison do it?

Bill, No....A friend of mine (Bass_Bug) on another forum rebuilt it. He has done 2 for me, and both are very nice.

Here is the 3wt Lami that he rebuilt for me. It was a self build and the cork was coming loose. He saved the cork and re-wrapped it.

DSC_1133.jpg

I never saw a grass rod I didn't like !

Nice! Makes me want to get out my old Browning Sila-flex and give 'er a go!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread