+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tying off a parachute

Default Tying off a parachute

Of these two methods of tying down the hackle and winding the finishing knot, which do you prefer and why?

1) Under the hackle and around the post.

2) Over the hackle and around the shank.

Thanks.

Allan

Allan,

I tie mine off in front of the post on the hook shank just behind the eye. For me, finishing a parachute is identical to finishing a collar style tie. Pull the fibers back, wrap the hackle stem down, trim it, then form and whip the head.

I find I can hold all the hackle fibers out of the way to tie off and whip finish much easier this way, and I get a neater fly.

Since it works, I've not found a reason to attempt any other method.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:55a17]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:55a17]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Allan....... depends on the fly....a Klinkhammer or emerger that I want to ride low, I would tie it off under the hackle on the post. For a dun imitation, I would tie it off on top of the post. Since that isn't one of the choices, I'd probably still tie it off under the hackle because it's just easier for me and the fly looks better. Why isn't on top of the post a choice? Just curious......Jason

feenom,

Simply that I've never heard of that method. Might try it though.

Allan

I don't tie them of anymore. I just use Krazy Glue for wood and leather. I found out some years ago that if you finish off the fly and leave the hackle out making sure there is thread on the post were the hackle will go you can just use the Krazy Glue. Just put a drop on the post take the first warp high up on the post and then two more below that one coming down toward the body Hold the hackle on the off side and wait for a few seconds and then clip of the extra hackle from underneath and you are done.
    It will take tying a few to get the hang of it but when you do it sure makes tying them a lot easier on a person. And yes it will hold well if done right. I have taken as many fish on a fly tied like this as one tied the regular way. I have had people I taught this to tell me how much they like doing them this way. Ron

PS: I have tried several glues and the Krazy Glue is the only one that will work as it should. And it has to be the one for wood and leather to? Don't ask me why? I think it has to do with how this glue is made? But it holds it real well.

RonMT,

Curious why the wood and leather variety. I do know that some CA glue is waterproof and some is not. I have always looked for one that can be used on fingernail repair, thinking that it must be waterproof.

Anyway, have you tried "regular" versus "thick" formula? I have not used the thick kind, but thought that it might be better for this kind of work... Just a thought.

Peter

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

I tried some of the thick stuff and it didn't work as well either? Like I said I do not know why the one works and others do not? But I know to buy the one that works It costs less money that way. LOL Ron

I've had no problems using Quicktite by loctite on my posts but I usually just tie them off that way I don't get any glue on the hackle.plus it's 1.29 for .35 oz at Big Lots aka Odd lots Just my 2 cents. Matt

------------------
    To each there own !

9. Default

Always under...

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

+ Reply to Thread