+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara Fishing in Weedy Ponds

Default Tenkara Fishing in Weedy Ponds

I was out on a weedy pond with the fly fishing club last night. I was in the tube using my tenkara rod because a long cast, in most cases, was just going to mean your fly was going to get tangled in weeds and I could manipulate my fly in ways with the tenkara rod that isn't practical with a regular fly rod. I ended up catching 4 bass, about 4 or 5 crappies and a good number of bluegills.
    I'm wondering if any of you use your tenkara rod while out in your tube, kayak, canoe or boat? I do regularly and especially like it when fishing close to cover like weeds or trees.

Have you considered longer rod and shorter line?

18ft-20ft rod with 11ft line will give more control around weeds.

Regards,
    FK

No, I can't say I really like that idea. When I'm out in the tube I'd have to put the extra length of pole somewhere so I could unhook the fish which wouldn't be as handy as just using a shorter rod. I also find a shorter rod and line is more controllable than a longer rod in the wind and if you want to sight fish a shorter rod really shines. Of course the shorter rod I'm talking about is still 12 ft. long, much longer than most fly rods.

Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
    I'm wondering if any of you use your tenkara rod while out in your tube, kayak, canoe or boat?
    I tried it once out of my tube. I caught some fish, but it was not a fun experience.

I recently borrowed a Tenkara rod and tried it on a small stream. As often happens I got the fly snagged on the bottom and nearby bushes. With my regular gear I just grab the line to try to pull the fly free. Without stressing the rod. But couldn't do this with the Tenkara rod and was concerned about breaking the very thin tip. What is the best way to get flies unsnagged?

Without stressing the rod too much, I would first try to go toward the snagged fly so that you can pull the fly out of the snag. For example if you snagged the fly downstream of you walk downstream past the fly so that the fly is now upstream of you and then give the rod a couple of shakes to see if the fly pulls out. Continue trying different angles until either the fly pulls loose or you’re convinced it won’t. If you have to break the line do it by grabbing the line and pulling it. Don’t point the rod at the snag and pull. You might jam the sections together and make it impossible to collapse the rod. It is possible to unjam sections of a rod but that is tricky and requires you to take the rod apart.

I have a few ponds that I fish from shore.
    With trees near the edge of the pod the Tenkara rod lets me cast flies to the fish.
    No room to cast a regular fly rod and easier than roll casting for me.

Rick

I have used a Tenkara rod from shore for Bluegill in our local pond. It is deadly!

When I'm around overhanging trees or bushes, I use a Bow & Arrow cast with the Tenkara rod. It makes just the right "PLOP" in the water without all the heavy line slap.

Vinny

My favorite application of Tenkara style fishing is in pocket waters in the rocky streams of the Snowy Range just outside Laramie WY. Almost no casting needed. Simply "dangle" the fly into a likely eddy and "bang". The snags happen due to early strike sets when the fly whips into the always present overhead branches.

Mark

Here are a couple of Bluegill I caught using a Tenkara Rod in a weedy pond (I caught around 20 that day):

Shady_BG_1.jpg Shady_BG_2.jpg

I was using a Tenkara USA Iwana, 9 ft Level Line (3.5), 3 ft 5X Tippet and an ItsaBug fly (http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....nal-t5273.html)

Vinny

+ Reply to Thread