+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rubber leg sizing

1. Default Rubber leg sizing

I just realized that I'm a lurker. I come here almost every day, but I can't remember when my last post was. A month ago?
    I'll try to change that.

I was looking at the FOTW
    (Stacked Hair Wing Hopper)
    and saw that the legs are medium sized.
    I almost always use the x-small size (on patterns smaller than 6) becuase it seems to me that x-small has more "wiggle".
    Does it make a difference?

Warmouth

Excellent fly by the way!

Warmouth, I think it's up to you and the action you want from the legs. I try to leave them a little long on most and cut them streamside if they are'nt working or getting wrapped around the hook.
    As for size! I'll say that small or ex'small legs are not as strong as larger sizes. I tied up some turk's tarantula's in size 12 with small rubber legs and size 10 with medium. The bluegill really liked the size 12 but quickly made off with some of the front legs the other day. This did nothing to stop them from hitting the fly. The medium legs seem to last longer on most of my flies. But you can't put medium legs on a #16 size fly. I hope this helps some. chad

I used to try to size legs to "fly size". But then I noticed something - the small [and partically the x-small size] often "glued" themselves to the fly body when twitched forward. Then just stuck and, of course, gave no further action. The med legs are stiffer and give you good movement which is why we use the rubber legs. Now I no longer try to use rubber legs on really small flies. I just different leg material - soft hackles, for example. I will still sometimes use the rubber legs for "tails".

Donald

4. Default

Thanks for the suggestions. I tend to leave legs shorter than most. They do sometimes stick against the fly. Hmm...

Warmouth

I tie in legs a little longer than I think they should (need to) be. longer legs offer more action in the water AND you can cut them to proper size on the water if necessary.

mgj

I gave up on small rubber as it always tuck to the side of the fly when I moved it. The water cohesions was just to much.

I am doing more flies with shorter legs now. I think they work better.
    Each side of the leg about shank length.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread