+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A bit off topic but...........

Hybrid View

Default A bit off topic but...........

Fly fishing as percieved by many is a stuffy, snobby, elitist pursuit associated , of course , with the consumption of unpronouncable single malts, aged burbons, fine cigars, "named" bamboo rods and exotic venues. Just how much do "you" match (or not) this perception ? Personally, I do my part, to some degree, in the area of " consumption" :>)

Mark
    PS: "percIEved" should be "percEIved". "I" before "E" except after "C". My bad !:>)
    Last edited by Marco; 06-18-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Marco,

One of the things I really like about fly fishing, other than actually fishing, is the common thread that fly fishing brings to the vast majority of fishers. It doesn't matter what you do or did, it doesn't matter how much money you have or don't have, it only matters that you like to fly fish. I have sat at tables with millionaires and with people who are just getting by. We can talk fly fishing all evening long and enjoy it. Yes, there are a few elitists out there, but I suspect that in all walks of life and all forms of sports there are a few of those. I just smile at them and in a way I feel sorry for them because they don't really get the true meaning of fly fishing. Then I ignore them and talk to a person who really does understand.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just how much do "you" match (or not) this perception ?

Mark
    None. Zero. I also do not match the stereotype of the "cool" fly fisher which has developed over the last decade or so; dope-smoking, dreadlocked, million dollars of gear with no apparent means of support, doing it because it is the fad thing to do. I really like to be out fishing and catching fish. I fly fish because SOMETIMES it is the method which makes the most sense and is the most enjoyable, and the most effective. Other times, not at all and I'll be using other tackle. There are snobs and @$$holes in every segment of the fishing world, but I do agree lots and lots of fly fishermen have worked tirelessly to foster the "I'm better than you" BS aura.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Hey Jsz,
    Thankfully I haven't run across anyone THAT "cool" but I have talked to a dude who once caught a "big hen with my grass stick". NOw THAT's COOL.

Mark

I admit that that reputation kept me away from fly fishing for many years. When I started fly fishing, I didn't let a lot of people know, because I knew I wasn't doing it the "proper" way. Since then, I've met many people in fly fishing and now know that the stuffy exclusive reputation is largely a myth. I still do it my own way, but I realize that there are many others who have similar habits. For example, I often catch a few sunfish in a polluted stream in one of several city parks on my lunch break. I don't change into waders, and I don't even change my shoes. I'm sure the janitor wonders why there's always mud under my desk, but I know. I also fish small wild trout streams that require hiking in, and can be stepped across in summer without even jumping. The fish are small, but the scenery is spectacular, and most importantly, it's nearby. Meanwhile, the "real trout fisherman" in my area are drifting power bait elbow-to-elbow in roadside streams hoping to catch stockers that were placed yesterday. I have never traveled to fly fish, but when I do travel, I take at least one fly rod.
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

Well said, waskeyc.

George

I'm no snob, just a redneck kid who loves fishin'
    Grace comes by art, and art does not come easy

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...the consumption of unpronouncable single malts, aged burbons, fine cigars...
    I'm definitely in favor of this stuff, fly fishing or not.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I am probably 180 degrees out from the standard perception of a fly angler. You will most likely see me on the streams wearing cut-off shorts and sandals, smoking a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe (probably with Frog Morton tobacco in it), and casting an Eagle Claw of Scientific Anglers Fly Rod and Reel, with a homemade fly on the end. I do have a set of neoprene waders (I have no idea what brand), and wading boots for winter. I also have 2 kayaks, and fly fish from them a lot. I am about as non PC as you can get. I don't drink alcohol (but I do cook with it...), and usually stick to various teas and coffees.

I guess I am probably giving fly fishing a bad image........ but where I usually fish, no one ever sees me anyway.

Single malts? Is Budweiser Select considered a single malt? I do love Red Stripe, how many malts is that? Cigars taste/smell like a$$. My bamboo is "imported" (aka chinese, aka cheap). If exotic venues means punk rock bands and pabst blue ribbon on tap, then I qualify. Otherwise, I'm a far cry from the ideal.
    Isaiah 41:10

+ Reply to Thread