+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squirmy Wormies

Question Squirmy Wormies

I've just ordered a supply of these and have a couple concerns.
    1. Does the stuff have a shelf life I should be aware of?
    2. Can I store the material (and finished flies) in styrene boxes or will it dissolve the styrene?
    Thanks for the advice.

Do not leave them in a hot vehicle. The material will degrade.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

WHat's a Squirmy Wormy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    WHat's a Squirmy Wormy?
    Dave Hise of the Casters Fly Shop in Hickory NC developed this pattern several years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0e2z8JrXnw

PT/TN
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Not sure how much this stuff is like plastic worms used for bass fishing, but I have some plastic worms over 30 years old still in good condition. Shelf life has not been a problem with them, the Plano worm box has gotten old and broken.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 06-23-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Odd. I bought some of that material from Spirit River and the stuff degraded pretty much over night. Not at all as durable as standard plastic worm material. Threw the rest away.

7. Default

I was wondering if there are easy to use substitute materials available for tying this Squirmy Wormy. Adios Philip

Quote Originally Posted by philip43 View Post
    I was wondering if there are easy to use substitute materials available for tying this Squirmy Wormy. Adios Philip
    I noticed the shop at BPS has Squirmy Worm "stuff" in a package. I bought a toy at the Dollar Tree with squirmy tentacles on it and clip them off and super glue them to make a 1.25 - 1.5 in. worm.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philip43 View Post
    A buddy of mine and I have been buying rubber toys (usually at the Dollar Store) that have these little rubber "fingers" on them. Usually for a buck. The down side is that they are a bit short for anything larger than a #16 hook. So we cut the "fingers" off and super-glue two together for anything bigger. The glue joint is under the wraps on the hook.

Yellow worm.jpg

One down side is that they sink fairly quickly. The upside is that they are deadly on just about everything I flyfish for. The hatchery rainbows in the only stocked stream near me especially.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I'm sure I'll get excommunicated for this comment, BUT.... why not just buy a pack of Berkley Trout Worms in your favorite color and stop BSing around? They're already the right size, many colors, fish love them, tastes great, less filling, very durable, etc. I've got nothing against fishing with a plastic worm. Making a plastic worm and fishing it on your fly rod as some sort of feel-good measure is silly. There are also "power nymphs" and "power crickets" and other fun stuff.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

+ Reply to Thread