+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel seat question

Default Reel seat question

My 2wt rod has a slide ring seat; it's the only one I've got and I'm not a fan. Seems like the reel works loose pretty easily; it's actually slipped off a time or two. I have to check it all the time. If the ring were milled out to fit the foot it would be better; it just doesn't seem secure as is. Anyone else have a similar problem? I've thought of using tape to hold it on but that would be kind of tacky (pun not intended).

Last edited by Prairieschooner; 06-06-2016 at 08:27 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Blog Entries

Prairieschooner,

That is the 'old way' of mounting a reel which is one of the reasons they developed screw on styles. I would suggest just living with it, and as you indicated, check it often. I doubt that milling out the ring would do any good, it would just weaken it and it would still slip, maybe even easier. But then, maybe someone has a solution to the problem. With mine, I just 'live with it'.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Could you put a small wedge in the front of the seat going in towards the reel?
    Mike

I have about a half-dozen rods with tat type of reel seat and have never had a problem with any of them. Most of them I have made myself and I never taper the inside surface of the ring. That looks like a Orvis BBS reel. That is the exact reel that I use on mine. I would suggest that you try and install the ring with less of an angle and more vertical.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I have one older reel that I use with that type of reel seat that has a small foot. I put a small shim (a bit of a fiberglass from a printed circuit board) between the reel seat and the foot of the reel. I've used the same shim for many years so I guess it works.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Insert a strip of leather below the reel foot that may help. The cap and ring reelseat isn't the old style version and is still common on lighter weight fly rods.

Sliding rings work much better with cork reel seats that have some "give". Hard wood inserts can be a problem. A piece of leather will probably help if there is enough space for it.

I recently purchased a rod with the sliding rings as well, the first I've ever owned like that. Mine has a cork reel seat, so perhaps that leads to better performance than what you've experienced, but I've just learned to push the rings on there with more force than what seems appropriate at first. It has led to a small mark on the reel foot, which I'm not overly happy about, but it's not a huge crisis and the reel stays put.

Yep; it's a BBS. Shimming with something is a great idea, thanks everyone!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Hi,
    I am no expert on repairs to sliding rings but I am wondering if you were to trace the shape of the reel foot onto a piece of craft foam (such as we use for tying purposes) and then trimmed the foam to the fit the reel foot, it might provide a non slip surface to help hold/secure the reel in place.
    Gerri

+ Reply to Thread