+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider Body Cutter

Default Spider Body Cutter

Does anyone know how to make a cutter for foam spider bodies or know of a place that sells them? I'm guess I'd need bodies for size 8 and 10 hooks. I'm fishing for pan fish.

I get them from Netcraft. You can get packages of 100 in a couple of different shapes.
    Hagensfish.com has them, but the minimum order is 500 of a style and color.

Rick

River Road Creations makes body cutters. Use the beetle body cutter. Use one size larger hook than they recommend. Use standard dry fly hooks.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z View Post
    I get them from Netcraft. You can get packages of 100 in a couple of different shapes.
    Hagensfish.com has them, but the minimum order is 500 of a style and color.

Rick
    I ordered 100 each of the black and white from Jann's NetCraft. All they have left was Size #1, which they recommended for size 10 hooks. I imagine I can get them to work for 8s and 12s, too.

You can try this, get a 1/8" ID metal tube, put in you drill and punch out a plug. Cut a 45 deg. on each end so they are perpendicularl. I'm am going to assume you are right handed, tie in one end slant side up with the body over the eye of the hook. Bring it back over the hook (you can slit the body if you like and superglue it to the shank. If you do lay down a coat of thread) A bout 1/8' back tie a head and 1/4" back, or whatever looks good to you, tie the thorax, add legs. Tie off. 1/4" just makes a larger bug.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Follow Fishbum's advice. He knows what he is talking about. I purchased one of the beetle cutters and they work like a charm.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Here is a finished product. I tied around 500 of these in all colors last year. Slow year.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    Here is a finished product. I tied around 500 of these in all colors last year. Slow year.

Jerry

So I could purchase the River Road Beetle Cutter in #12 for hooks sizes 10 and 8?

Is the 2mm foam thick enough for main these beetles?

Default spider body

I use the size 12 cutter with a size 10 dry fly hook. I also use 3mm foam for the size 10 spider and 2mm foam for the size 12. For a size 8 and larger spider i would use the small or medium beavertail body cutter.

The bug in the picture is a size 10.

Jerry

I picked up some of the large foam spider bodies at some point. Didn't really use them since I could only get two colors white or black at my local fly shop. What I eventually did was use one of the bodies as a template and cut bodies out of 3 or 4 mm craft foam or if I'm feeling creative use two different colors of 2 mm sticky back craft foam pressed together. Also I tie them a bit different since no one told me that the narrow end was suppose to be the head.

SFINH1.jpg

+ Reply to Thread