+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mary Dette

paflyfisher16- I had the priviledge of watching and tying with several of the old Catskill tiers and "Yes" you are right they all tied flies just a little differently. No two tied exactly the same. I bet if Marry Dette were asked she would say that she does things just a little differently than her Mother or Father did. It is just human nature to do thing the way it best suits a person.

While I was taught one way I have found that I can get it done just as well and faster another way. Nothing wrong with that as long as the over all fly is well tied and is balanced well.

One other thing is that I do not think any of the old tiers would ever mind if you copied there style of tying. The ones that I met were not that way and were happy to show people how to tie somting if they had the time. So if you want to leave a little room at the head of the fly do so. I do it. It was the way I was taught and I think it looks better. But we are all different and some like a head of thread. Do as you please because there is one thing that you have to remember "You are the only person you have to please" So do it the way it looks and works the best for you. Ron

paff:

In general what I think you will find is that the "old-school" tyers from the Catskill Region tied their dry flies with larger and thinner hackle collars, longer wings, longer tails and thinner bodies than do the more modern tiers (of which I group myself). Now, I'm not sure if the longer tails and wings are due to the preference for longer hackle or vice versa. You'll probably also notice that the wings are set back a bit farther.

Years of commercial tying and genetic hackle have caused some of the morphing for sure...as I'm sure have the inspirations of those outside the Catskill community as fly tying walked westward.

I appreciate the old school Catskill fly but when I tie them, the inspirations of George Harvey readily appear. Sy my approach is blended somewhat.

Hey thanks for the replys, you are both right and I should stop driving myself crazy over tying these things.
    I hope to in the near future post some pictures of the catskill flies I've tied I would really like to get your opinions.
    Thanks agian
    Doug

Ron,

Exactly. A few years ago I started a hands-on study of flies tied by the people we associate with Catskill Flies. I have actually measured over 100 flies at the CFFC & M, and in the collection of Judie Darbee. I want to measure more this coming spring. The tentative results are illuminating. One of these days, when I've completed my study, I'll publish the results. Maybe JC & LF will allow me to put them here.

Allan

Jim Slattery Guest

Ok, In doing some research ,apparently the reason for the gap between the head and eye is ( to paraphrase) "to keep the eye free and clear of varnish and preventing chaffing of the head from the leader". I suppose chaffing the head would cause the thread to unravel. This is from the 1935 Dette catalog.
    Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:58f9a]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:58f9a]

[This message has been edited by Jim Slattery (edited 13 March 2005).]

I read that in the catalog also. I have one of them. But I was told by Harry that it was for the knot? See I told you they all had different ideas?

Tyeflies- I bet you found that flies tied by the same person changed over the years? I know mine have and I am sure theirs did to because I saw some that Harry had tied in the 40's and they were a little different from the ones tied when I was there. It is an interesting subject for sure. I always enjoy reading about the Catskills, the area and the tiers. I will enjoy reading your paper when you are done with it. Ron

Jim Slattery Guest

Hi Ron, Since Harry was more than likely still a partner when that Dette catolog was written, I'd be inclined to believe that these were the reasons too.
    Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:cd6ab]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:cd6ab]

+ Reply to Thread