+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mary Dette

Default Mary Dette

Awesome Hans. Simply awesome. Perhaps "chilling" is the word.

Here's a question I've always had: What is the rationale for leaving the gap of bare hook shank between the eye and thread head?

I don't care, Catskills are simply beautiful flies whether "old school" or modern interpretations.

Hey I've recently been digging into some catskill history and I think the space was for the knot that was used to tie the fly to the end of your leader. I may be wrong but I've heard that a few times. Someone else will know better than me.

What were you refering to as awsome to hans about, just curious if he has posted any classic catskill flies because I would love to see them.

Doug

Loren,

The space was left for at least one reason that's in the literature: It is to allow the 'turle' knot of the leader to be tied to the hook. I also think, and I may have read this somewhere, that the space also puts the total weight of the fly into balance(?) so that the center of gravity is in the middle of the fly.

Regardless, Mary's flies are nuts. I've watched her and am amazed at her techniques and how the the tapered body begins at the butt. You have to see it close up.

Great job Hans.

Allan

Awesome Hans. Simply awesome. Perhaps "chilling" is the word.
    My first question is what was this first post referring to?

With regards to the idea about the gap in the head of Catskill flies - the answer about Turle knots make the most sense to me. With any knot where part of the tippet lays on the hook shank (like a Turle knot or a Tweed clinch), the head of the fly would probably be prone to unravelling if it were not for this gap. Also I find that if I attempt to leave a gap, by definition, I will not be crowding the head of the fly.

The first post is about the latest addition to Hans' site. He has a page of flies by Mary Dette. [url=http://danica.com/flytier/mdette/mdette.htm:cc049]http://danica.com/flytier/mdette/mdette.htm[/url:cc049]

And he has certainly been busy with flies by 4 other tiers. Great job Hans!
    Rex

Sorry Guys..A-S-S u&me again!
    [url=http://www.danica.com/flytier/mdette/mdette.htm:9391f]http://www.danica.com/flytier/mdette/mdette.htm[/url:9391f]

Turle knot! Of course! I don't use one so now I won't feel bad ommitting the gap.

Allan,

Taper begins at the but? Please elaborate? Is that not where is is supposed to begin? Color me confused.

Loren,

Of course you're right. The taper IS supposed to begin at the butt and increase the thickness of the body (the taper) as it approaches the back of the wings. However, on Mary's flies, she has a way of starting the body (at the butt) so that there is an almost imperceptible start and it grows from there. It's something I have not seen in any flies, by any tyers, other then her or of tyers of her generation or her predecessors.

Take a closer look.

Regards.

Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 03 March 2005).]

Allen is correct. The space is for the turle knot. He is also correct in that the head being back a little will blance the fly better.

I watched her Mary hr Mom and Dad dubbing bodies many years ago to. She does it the same as her Mom did. I have also watched Harry Darbee and Art Flick dub the bodys on flies to. They all do it a little differently. Some would roll a noodle on there pants leg then take it to the hook. Some would do the same but with thread and then tie in the extra piece of thread and wind it on that way.

Kind of neet to see how others do these things. I used to do it the same way but I like many others have come to a way that works best for me. I use a little wax on the thread then I touch dub. In other words I touch the dubbing to the thread and with the wax on it just a small ammount of dubbing will stick to the thread. Buy doing it this way I have found I can get a very fine start to the noodle that will be the body. Ron

PS: Mark I have never known any of the old tiers to bend the eye of the hooks down unless they were out of shape to begin with.

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 03 March 2005).]

Allan,

I'm not seeing it. Would you be sure to point it out to me when we gather in Roscoe next month?

I have shivers and goosebumps lookng at them.....

If the reason for the gap behind the eye of a traditionally tied Catskill dry fly is to accomodate the turle knot, why isn't it present on wet flies and nymphs from the same tiers/same time period?

+ Reply to Thread