+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping Basket?

Default Stripping Basket?

I fish a lot of spots that are grown up with weeds and my line is constantly getting tangled in them. So I am looking for suggestions for a stripping basket. There are NO fly shops within two hours of me so I can not run down and try out different models. A search shows up the ones that look like a baby bath tub - and plans how to make a stripping basket out of something similar. I also found a folding net one but have no experience with any type of basket.

I found this one: http://www.flyfishbasket.com/ with a model at about $30.

Soliciting opinions good and bad.

Clint
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Among the folks I know who use one, the favorite by far, believe it or not, is the one from Orvis (http://www.orvis.com/p/durable-stripping-basket/1433) and while it is expensive, it will last forever. I bought a collapsible one like the one you listed, and did not like it much at all. I think a rigid basket works better. There are some other ones out there but you could always make one yourself. A quick google search will turn up tons of solutions. All you really need is Rubbermaid dishpan and a belt at a minimum, although there are some interesting other solutions folks have found. Good luck.
    Last edited by whatfly; 05-31-2016 at 09:16 PM.

A kids woven bicycle basket fitted to a belt would work good and last a couple of seasons. Or, an old wicker creel with lid removed.
    I've been frustrated by fast moving water and brush in creeks I fish. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I use the large wire nuts for my "cones"
    A squirt of GOOP inside to deter rust and attached with stainless wood screws.
    I would recommend staying away from the mesh baskets as your line tends to puddle in the middle.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have looked at quite a few "make your own" projects and really can not see my self carrying a dish pan through the woods. I am going to order the William Joseph and build a bottom with "spikes" to keep the line from tangling. I have an idea on making the spikes from some stiff foam so it will fold in the basket while traipsing through the under-brush on the way to the creek.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I have used a Payette stripping basket (very similar to the Willam Joseph model) for over 20 years and love it. I purchased it for the exact same reason you mentioned because where I fished, my flyline would always end up tangled in sticks and weeds. While you can add foam cones to the model you're considering, I never really found the need to. There were occasions when the line tangled in the basket, but not all that often. I found that using a striping basket added 10-15 feet to my casts because I wasn't having to untangle sticks and grass from my line or worse yet, find that I was stepping on the line while false casting. I think that you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Jim Smith

I like the Flexi Stripper. Been using it for years.

Last edited by deathb4disco; 06-01-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Does anyone use a stripping basket in a yak? I was looking at the various types and a dim light went on. I always get my line tangled in al the other stuff on the bottom!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread