Brookid
The AuSable's Main Branch from Burton's Landing to Wakeley Bridge was designated flies only/catch and release in 1989. I've fished it since 1971. My experience is that the fishing today is significantly better than prior to the regulation changes...in terms of both numbers of and size of all three trout species.

I can't say that the regulation changes have caused an increase in fisherman numbers on the Holy Water. It's always been crowded on holidays and weekends that coincide with major hatches, but remarkably uncrowded at other times.

Trash and illegal fishing continues to be a problem, with trash being the bigger problem of the two. I'm satisfied that the bulk of the trash comes from irresponsible recreational canoeists who rent their crafts from the several canoe liveries that work the river.

Regardless of whether or not regulation changes on the Holy Water resulted in increased fisherman visits, the improvements at landings and campgrounds were way over due. They're proactive agency practices that have resulted in a reduction in erosion/silt deposition, and septic pollution.

I can recall the controversy over the regulation changes. There were, indeed, some hard feelings generated. Apparently they continue.