Getting old ain't for the faint of heart.
I have been seeing an opthalmologist for the last 4 months for a macular swelling and fluid in my eye. Started out with an injection in the eyeball and then 8 drops a day for 5 weeks. I went for my appointment and things seemed to be clearing up. Had 20-20 in that eye and the swelling had diminished considerably. That was on a Thursday afternoon. Saturday morning a had a large ball in my vision that stayed there. It was on the lower right side of my sight . I called the DR Monday morning and was told to come back Thursday afternoon. I went and after an examination I was told I had a retinal detachment and needed surgery immediately. The next morning I checked into a surgical center and that afternoon had the operation. After attaching the retina he installed a gas bubble to hold everything in place. We stayed at a hotel and went to the Doctor's office the next morning for post operative exam and a recap of things I can and cannot do for the next 6+ weeks while I'm healing.
One thing I cant do is fly or anything that would cause atmospheric pressure on the gas bubble. From the point of surgery to my home is a mountain pass that is over 2000 feet higher than where we came from to where we were going. We took an alternate route that is less of a climb and drove 5 miles an hour for the last five miles over the pass, stopping every 50 yards or so to let my eye get used to the pressure. An hour trip took us 4 hours to drive.
Another thing I have to do is look down with my back bent and my neck bent down. That goes on 24/7. Sleeping is on my right side with my head on the edge of the pillow and a plastic patch on my eye. Thank God that ends tomorrow. I still won't be able to lay on my back or kick back in my recliner, but at least I can get the crick out of my neck.
Now, the part about flying. Prior to all this we had made travel plans for this summer. A flight to Kauai and a week with friends on that island. Including a hop to the big island to visit friends and see the volcano. The trip is planned for the 11th of July and is all paid for. If the gas bubble isn't gone, I'm not going. My wife and friends will go without me.
I was sort of reluctant to have the surgery because of this until it was explained to us that I could fly with a prosthetic eye and only see half as much.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Jim