+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Orvis Supertstrong plus Tippet?

Hybrid View

1. Default New Orvis Supertstrong plus Tippet?

There is a buy two get a third free sale by Orvis for the Superstrong plus tippet. Is it that much better than the old stuff? Is it worth the expense of buying it when I still have tippet spools on hand?
    Thanks Philip

Blog Entries

Philip,

I have not tried the newer Orvis Superstrong plus tippet, so I am also interested in what someone who has tried it has to say about it.

Having said that, are you having problems with the tippet you use right now? If you are then give the new stuff or another brand a try. If you are not having problems, why change?

Actually, the only tippet I use now days is fluorocarbon, be it on dries or wet.But that is just a personal choice on my part.

Have fun fishing this summer.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Tippet material only has a limited shelf life; you're going to have to replace what you have eventually. The new stuff costs about the same as the old, so yeah, it's worth it for me.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Tippet material only has a limited shelf life; you're going to have to replace what you have eventually. The new stuff costs about the same as the old, so yeah, it's worth it for me.
    You failed to mention that the shelf life limit for unused tippet is pretty long unless storied in the sun light or something. It's not like milk. I agree with another post, if you like what you have, why change. It's only advertising. There is not a micron of difference in all these tippets. I also generally use fluorocarbon most of the time, but the brand is not that important.
    God Bless America

Either of these two mono tippet brands smoke anything that Orvis will ever put out:

http://waterstrider.com/products/enr...ippet-material

http://swiftflyfishing.com/collections/stroft-tippet-leaders/products/stroft-gtm

That assessment comes from trying all of them, including Trouthunter which is made by Stroft and re-packaged for Rene's Shop...

...and no, not all tippet brands are equal:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...r-stoft-umpqua

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 05-07-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbell View Post
    You failed to mention that the shelf life limit for unused tippet is pretty long unless storied in the sun light or something.
    I keep my vest with tippet material in the car year round; I replace tippet material once a year for sizes that I don't use up even more frequently. (The suggested shelf life is about 2 years if stored in a cool, dry place, which mine definitely isn't.) Why wouldn't I replace replace Superstrong with the new Superstong. (I detest flourocarbon.)
    Bob

There is no situation where the brand of the tippet is going to make a difference in my opinion, all else being equal. Replace if needed, but do not bother otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by philip43 View Post
    There is a buy two get a third free sale by Orvis for the Superstrong plus tippet. Is it that much better than the old stuff? Is it worth the expense of buying it when I still have tippet spools on hand?
    Thanks Philip
    Philip,

That sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. If you go to the Orvis website and find the SuperStrong Plus tippet, it shows how it compares to the "old", regular SuperStrong tippet. They have a chart comparing the two. They use an Instron machine for testing their tippet strengths...so that is all pretty legit. I wouldn't be afraid to take that deal on the SS+ tippet if I were looking to resupply my tippet.

Ok...here's the link to the page with the hype video on the Orvis Super Strong Plus:

http://www.orvis.com/p/super-strong-plus-tippet/2fc0

Can any state, with certainty, who actually makes this tippet material for Orvis ??? Because, like almost everything fly fishing, from Orvis, it comes from a different source.

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I don't think that Orvis is going to tell anyone who makes their tippet. The packaging says "Made in Japan"
    Stroft is from Germany. TroutHunter is from Japan.

I think just about all tippet material is from either Japan or Germany. I have no clue how many companies are out there manufacturing tippet.
    I wouldn't think that there would be many.

+ Reply to Thread