While waiting for the local creek to clear up enough to resume sight-fishing for carp, my fishing buddy and I decided to hit the local lake yesterday, for bluegill.

The lightest rod I had was a 6wt, so I went to cabela's to get a 4wt combo. They didn't have the combo I was looking for, so I got a rod on sale, and paired it with a decent reel.

I had to get used to waders, because I've never used them; always fished from the bank or boat. It took a little time to get used to, trying to find firm enough bottom. We pretty much stayed about calf-deep.

The weather was clear with winds from 10-20mph. I noticed when the winds calmed down, we were getting hook-ups. I baptized the rod with several gills using a black wooly worm with a short red tail. My fishing buddy was killing them on a black Bully's bluegill spider with white legs.

I had to keep reminding myself not to set the hook too hard, so the gills wouldn't lose their mouths.

Have to try to squeeze in a few more days of fishing before it rains again this weekend. Tight lines!

IMG_20160503_181313.jpg