+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's your flyfishing gear bag?

Hybrid View

Default What's your flyfishing gear bag?

I have to buy a new one. Just wondering...

I am a minimalist and fight continually against the drag of Orvis and the fly fishing gods to keep my kit small. I have for the last decade used a small Filson waist pack (http://www.filson.com/fishing-waist-pack.html). Wonderful quality and the right size but I go tired of trying to get it over the waders, under the fleece and around the rain coat. Last year I switched to an Orvis shoulder pack. I got the smallest one (I got it on sale so I might be discontinued). Right size and well made. The problem I have had is that it slipped off my shoulder every minute or so. I have used contact cement to attach a piece of a yoga map to the strap and that seems help. I am still holding final judgment.
    David

I switched from waist packs to sling packs a little over a year ago. My first sling pack was also an Orvis, got on sale. LOVE IT. I don't know if its the smallest or not, all I know is it has a LOT of room for stuff! Haven't had any issue with it slipping off shoulders or anything. Its been pretty comfortable. I like it so much, it was on sale quite a long time so I bought another one as a future back-up.
    It looks like this one:
    $_1.JPG

This winter I thought I would try something a bit smaller, and am basically using an Allen chest pack, but wearing the strap across the shoulder like a shoulder bag or sling pack. Its been working really well for me as well. Its not as roomy as the Orvis sling pack, but it fits everything typically need...except for a water bottle. Might be perfect for your minimalist approach.
    6345_prodmain_02.jpg
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Since I am either in my pontoon boat or on a guided drift boat / ridged framed raft, I use a larger gear bad, a Sage brand, to carry lots of 'stuff'.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I use different ways of storage, depending on what type of fishing I am doing. When trout fishing, I carry a lot of flies, so I use a vest and carry about 8 boxes of flies along with a lot of other paraphernalia, lunch a rain jacket, and a water bottle. I can't imaging keeping it organized so I can find what I need in under an hour with any other means. For carp fishing, I use a hip pack, since I only carry one fly box. I have also carried a hip pack when fishing saltwater, but recently bought a shoulder sling pack and will try it out this summer. It should hold more water and lunch better than the waist pack that I have been using.

Ted

I bought two of the Cabela's small bags that look like an oversized lunch box. I have one for tying and one for fishing. i switch the fishing bag stuff to suit the trip. I also use a vest to hang the essential stuff. Almost bought a sling pack from Allen Fly Fishing but just couldn't do it! One of those Captain Kangaroo, for those of us old enough, suits would work for me!
    Mike

When I fish from my kayak, I go with a minimum of equipment, basically two boxes of flies, an extra furled leader or two, 4 spools of tippet, clippers and forceps. When I fish for bass along the bank, I've switched to the large Sage DXL bag. It holds a ton of stuff, but with large bass flies, I like the extra room. Also, there are times when a half + mile from my vehicle, and I sure don't want to waste my time walking back to my truck to get more flies or tippet materials.

Jim Smith

Have a regular tackle  bag for reels/spools/large fly boxes. A Cortland waist pack given to me by a kindly fly shop propreitor and the usual vest. Just got a Fish Pond materials bag for my travelling tying tools/materials. Never have tried a sling pack, but they look like a practical bag.

Have a regular tackle bag for reels/spools/large fly boxes. A Cortland waist pack given to me by a kindly fly shop propreitor and the usual vest. Just got a Fish Pond materials bag for my travelling tying tools/materials. Never have tried a sling pack, but they look like a practical bag.

+ Reply to Thread