+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your flyfishing gear bag?

It's mostly bank fishing for me so I use this. I carry way too much stuff, but I'd rather have it and not need it than want it and wish I had it...

When I wade, I still wear a vest. Just seems right. I have been thinking about a sling pack but haven't really found "the one" yet. I have a lanyard and have never used it.

PS. Actually, now that I look at this photo, this one has been relegated to carrying hunting stuff and I have a similar one with a drop-down foam fly patch in front.
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 05-03-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I have a small lumbar pack i use for walking and fishing the from shore primarily for warm water fly fishing. i used it for a year or so stream fishing but every other trip or so every thing got wet from wading too deep. i switched to a Simms sling pack for trout and i like it a lot. In the Kayak i have fly box behind the seat clippers tippet and hemostats in my shirt pocket. i used to wear a vest but it got to the point after a day on the water my back was so uncomfortable it was a distraction

Not sure if you're referring to the pack used on stream or the pack used in the car.

On stream, I use a Fishpond Waterdance pack -- holds plenty, very durable, and comfortable with the weight on my hips / legs rather than back.

For carrying waders, boots, extra layers, extra fly boxes, snacks, etc. in the car, I use a Rubbermaid storage bin. They come in a variety of sizes and brands. I believe the one I have is a 14 gallon and cost less than $5. It holds everything I need for a day fishing trip, so I can grab the bin and I'm ready to go. It's especially useful when I'm fishing with others so I don't lose / forget something in the back of someone's vehicle. They are also waterproof for toting wet boots home and easy to clean.

I have, for many. many years, used a Filson back pack. It sits nicely at the small of my back, holds flies for an entire trip, weighs virtually nothing, and looks good! For the forceps and clippers, and tippet, I'm trying to use a lanyard. Jury's still out on that. Haven't used it over a spring/summer/fall yet, so we'll see how it does in combination with my chest port! The cord will run right over the top of it, and I can't imagine it to be too comfortable! We'll see! I like the idea of the shoulder bag, but it, too, would be heavier and ride right over the port.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Fishpond Waterdance pack. I found it on sale, it's not small. I can carry plenty (really to much) gear. So I'm continually downsizing. lol
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Well, I only use a gear bag when float fishing or traveling. It's a mid-size Orvis bag I got as a present years ago. I bought my vest from Fisherman's Warehouse several years ago. Not sure that they are still in business. It's as good as any of the high priced vest and loaded with gadgets I think I need when wading. I also bought a waist pack a few years ago, but I found that I always needed something that was not attached to it, so it's not used much. So, that's my two cents worth. See you at the MI Fish In. The AuSable was already about 4"s high and it's raining again today.
    God Bless America

For my gear while on the water, I?m still a vest guy. For transporting all my gear it all goes in one LARGE zippered duffel bag. Actually all but the wading boots, they have their own bag.

I was out shopping with my wife and we went into the Totes outlet. I found this little travel bag with a shoulder strap for $15 that had a main compartment big enough for two or three fly boxes and a reel. The back compartment has several pockets that are the perfect size for leaders. It has several other compartments that hold my tippet spools and other items. There is a side pocket with a velcro flap that is perfect for my floatant. The main compartment closes with rare earth magnets. I thought, this is stupid...I couldn't get a bag this perfect for less than $60 at a fly shop. It's been my bag of choice ever since.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dave View Post
    I was out shopping with my wife and we went into the Totes outlet. I found this little travel bag with a shoulder strap for $15 that had a main compartment big enough for two or three fly boxes and a reel. The back compartment has several pockets that are the perfect size for leaders. It has several other compartments that hold my tippet spools and other items. There is a side pocket with a velcro flap that is perfect for my floatant. The main compartment closes with rare earth magnets. I thought, this is stupid...I couldn't get a bag this perfect for less than $60 at a fly shop. It's been my bag of choice ever since.
    So, what did you buy for your wife???
    God Bless America

I primarily use a vest. I just find it easier to haul stuff around. The only other carrier I bring if camping is a FishPond flytying bag.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread