+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE QUESTION - Readers Cast - May 2, 2016

Blog Entries

Default THE QUESTION - Readers Cast - May 2, 2016

THE QUESTION

"Grandpa, why do you fish with flies?"

"Well, there are lots of reasons but I guess it's mostly just because I enjoy it."

"But couldn't you catch a lot more fish with a lure or bait and still have just as much fun?"

Very nice. It's not about the catching, but the overall experience that counts. Way to go Grand Paw!
    God Bless America

Well, you see, young'un, grandpaw has some very serious thinking and psychological disorders.
    Most normal folks would simply have a spin cast rig and would use worms or crickets or a Mepps spinner to catch lots of fish, but not grandpaw! Oh, no, grandpaw insists on tangled lines, his precious flies hung up high in trees, a consistent wet rear end, and very, very few fish for all the trouble and expense. But will grandpaw give-up and go the spin cast route .... NEVER!

I've always loved observing nature. I used to catch plenty of fish with spinning gear, but I feel I catch a lot more with flyfishing gear. If it wasn't effective, maybe I wouldn't do it. I'm glad it is, because I do enjoy it immensely...the changing rhythms of the casting, the feel of the rod loading, the focus on delivering the fly to the target, feeling the direct connection to and strength of the fish through the fly line, the tying and selection of a fly the fish will be likely to try to eat, the water that soothes the soul and abundance of life that surrounds it.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread