+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I had a great weekend! Hope you did too!

Default I had a great weekend! Hope you did too!

I had a beautiful day of fishing on Sat and I just got to tell somebody about it!

I made it out to the Blue Ridge in Va this weekend to do some trout fishing. I've only been fishing since last summer, so a lot of my trips to that area still include a lot of reconnaissance. After checking out a stocked lake and deciding that I didn't want to fish shoulder to shoulder with the powerbait crew, I headed down the road and checked out a few holes in a stocked stream that had nobody on it. I spotted a nice pool from the road and got out to check it out. There was a number of fish in the pool, with a few in the around 10". I could see that they were feeding along the bottom so I ran back to the truck, rigged up my rod and tried a little nymphing. Long story short...I tried every nymph in my box and anythiing that even looked cloes to a food pellet to no avail.

Since I had another stream in mind that I wanted to check out, I moved on. The stream I was heading to is in a wilderness area and would require some hiking. I had some lunch at the trail head, got out the gear and headed up the trail. I ran into another fly fisher in the first 1/4 mile and kept heading upstream. I found some nice pools and stopped to fish them. For some reason, I thought I had several EHCs in my box but only had two...figured I'd have to be careful. Of course I lost the first one on a backcast into some branches after only five minutes. I tied on the second one and caught 3 nice size brookies in the next four pools with a couple of little ones along the way.

Moving up the stream kept bringing me to nice pools with a variety of features and many with a decent area for casting. I ended my trip on the stream at a beautiful waterfall as the sun was going behind the ridge. I rested there before turning downstream for the mile and a half hike out.

I hope that I'm not the only one who had a great weekend of fishing! So, where'd you all fish and how'd it go?

Charlie

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and he'll never want to work again."

On Saturday, I fished a couple places in Eastern PA with a fellow FAOL'er. I've caught more fish but it was a great day to be out. Learned some good stuff, and that always makes it a good day for me.

The wild browns were too tough for me at the first stop, but then we headed over to the Little Lehigh and I got a 10" brown and then the best PA rainbow I've taken so far. Didn't take him out of the water, but I guesstimated 18" or slightly better. Both on a sculpin pattern tied and loaned to me by my associate.

So now I have two more items on my to-do list: (1) learn how to tie that sculpin, and (2) go back and figure out those browns.

Glad you asked. It wasn't troutoids. Maybe it should be under SW?
    Anyway, it is a hoot getting the kids fishing. Getting to be that time. Even though these guys want a rematch, for this time of season, more activity usually equates to more interest.
    Catching left a bit to be desired, but it really was a grand morning. Even though the wind refused to abate, we were fortunate enough to be between rains for several hours.
    G-kids want a return bout. [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/CIMG0535.jpg:1569c]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/CIMG0535.jpg[/url:1569c]
    .....lee s.

beautiful day here in new jersey. fished a wild trout stream in the northwest of the state, and caught 5 brookies and a rainbow, all on a size 16 adams. a great day!

where on the blue ridge did you fish? i went to college in harrisonburg and really miss the gw forest and shenandoah.
    cheers,
    bill

NJ- I've been fishing the area around Charlottesville and Wintergreen, hitting some of the creeks around there. That's such a pretty area. I'm trying to convince my wife that we need to move there...

...trip was a little shorter than I would have liked but I did sneek into southern Wisconsin and hit a few streams. Beautiful day...water a bit stained due to snow melt from the previous night but I did tie into a couple handsome browns in the 12/13" range...wish I could have stayed longer...

Brookid
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

Since you asked, fished the Little Blackfoot Saturday close to home and caught one 16 inch brown, missed two fish, and scared some more. Windy and cold evening, but very nice to get out for the first time for me this year.

+ Reply to Thread