Thread: New Stonflo Elite Vise

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default New Stonflo Elite Vise

I sold a vise, and bought a new one. It is the Stonflo Elite Vise.
    Stonflo is a company in Italy which has made other vises and fly tying tools in the past. They have fairly recently come out with the Stonflo Elite and the Stonflo Transformer. The Transformer is very similar to the Elite, except that you can snap the head of the vise with the jaws off and snap on other configurations.....such as a tube fly attachment.

The Elite appealed to me as I tie trout flies and don't tie big streamers or tube flies.

The Elite arrives in this box.

W
    hen you open the box, you see the rather large, and pretty heavy base. The base has feet on the four corners as well as two large hook/bead depressions. It also has a number of different sized holes to serve as a tool caddy.
    The base offers very nice tying stability.

T
    hese are the parts in the box. Most notable is the very substantial curved metal part which is actually two-pieced. These large semicircle stainless steel "rods" serve as either your bobbin holder's holder; or, when differently configured, it serves as a gallows tool. There is a separate gallows tool with material clip attachment for that purpose.

T
    he vise set up and configured with the gallows tool configuration. You will note the spring on the material clip for holding parachute posts and other tying methods.

The vise has its own material clip for tying which can be put on either side of the vise . I often tie without it as I like more room at the rear of the hook when tying.

T
    he vise is said to be stainless steel with hardened steel jaws. It seems to me that some of the components are nickel plated, but I'm not into metallurgy.

The jaws are replaceable. They have another set of jaws with a more pointed, slightly curved end.

The vise is made very well. It is about 85% of the size I would prefer. It is very smooth. Has 2 ball bearings instead of a plastic housing. Anyway, thought others might like looking into it.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 04-30-2016 at 05:21 AM.