+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly line question

Default Fly line question

Any experience with the Cabela's Prestige Plus fly line, especially the DT? I'm looking for an inexpensive line for the Southbend bamboo I just got; these are on sale. The thing that bothers me is their blurb says "The line is weighted 1/2 size heavier than AFTMA standards, fully realizing the casting power of today's fast-action rods", which doesn't seem to be what I'd want for this rod.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Sicne it is a DT line, casts beyound 30 ft of line will add even more mass. If you are not going to be fishing further than 30 ft of line plus leader, the added mass of the DT won't matter.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Generally speaking, the Cabela's lines have been fine, although not usually my first choice. At that price, I would think it would be worth the risk. One concern is the "Plus" line is half a line over-lined, which is not a problem for the average graphite rod, but may be an issue for a bamboo one. I just do not know enough about the rod to say if it will have a positive or negative effect.

Wish you had not mentioned the sale, however, because now I'm going to have to get a couple as well.

You might want to also look at Sierra Trading Post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~fly-line/?perPage=96 They have several brand name fly lines on sale for pretty good prices. (i.e. Scientific Angler GPX from $74.95 down to $29.9 Just another option.

Jim Smith

Blog Entries

second what Jim Smith said about Sierra Trading Post, and whatfly's observation that you may not want to overline a bamboo rod. at least not right off the bat. on the whole, they have more moderate action than your average graphite, certainly much more moderate than a "modern fast-action" graphite.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

For a contrary point of view, if a cane rod is marked "HDH", the conversion tables will tell you that's equivalent to a modern 6 weight DT. However, in my experience, it's more a 5 1/2 weight DT; the conversion table aren't all that accurate.

OTOH, with with a South Bend rod, you'll never really know until you've tried. They weren't very consistent, even with the same model and length rod. I've got a SB 290 that's a true 5 weight (and will handle a 4 1/2 weight) and another 290 that needs a 6 weight to load at all.
    Bob

perhaps you could go to rodbuilders.org and read up on the CCS system if you haven't yet. Doing it will tell you precisely what grain wt the rod would handle well for a 30' cast. which would indicate what fly line to get for the rod

If you are looking for inexpensive and feeling adventuresom take a look here - http://shadowflyfishing.com/fly-fishing-lines.html

Somebody had posted this site awhile back and they use to post their pricing, but now I guess you have to call them for such. I was also wondering if they might not have some bamboo recommendations or insight.

http://www.flyline.net/

I have used Prestige Plus lines for several years in different weights and tapers. Not on bamboo because I don't use it. The lines are the same or better quality of much more expensive lines. Last I knew from a very reliable source, a Cabela's product manager, the lines were SA lines in a Cabela's box. I don't know if that is still true, but I will not hesitate to buy another one when I need a new line.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

+ Reply to Thread